El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I had problems with the lights flashing (relays), and most likely due to not enough juice to make them function properly (hi-beams only). Soooo, ordered a 140A altimanator frum dem Summitt peoples. Well, Sunday, son and I pulled the old one and put the Summitt in. Monday (yesterday), I dun goes out ta krank dat ol' mistress, and nutin' happened. Battery dead as a door nail. Sooos I dun RE-charged dat NEW battery again. Two hours later, sumone dun shot it again - dead as a machreal dis time. Calls Summit, and da tech says to ship dat sukker back using prepaid shipping lable. Dun dat dis mornin', and RE-installed da ol' altimanator. Charged dat NEW battery, and guess whut???? Holds charge. Ain't thingies grate when ya have sumpin' dat don't work, and sumpin' ya duz want don't???? Summit will be shipping a new alternator when they get the one I shipped back to them this morning. I've got four relays (two for lights and two for fans), so I DO need something that will put out some juice!!! :dontknow::texas:

Oh, I forgot one thing. Where does the needle go on the voltmeter when you turn your ignition off?

·
Ministry of Broke Things
6,540 Posts
Yes, Summit is really good with thier customer service. Sorry you got a dud.

My voltmeter drops all the way to the left when the key is off, as do all my other needles. (Well, except for the tach, but that's another worm can for another day!)

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Hey Beepster Bruce , Hey Older Geezer , did you forget to plug in the ALTI-NATOR first , before you started the engine ??? :dontknow: and why would you need a 140 amp ALTI-NATOR for ??? :dontknow: are you running off-road lites INSIDE AND OUT ??? :dontknow: .... You sure make things COMPLI-CATED :secret: Thanks the Younger Geezer has Spoken :nanawrench:

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
my 86 has a 105 amp cs series alternator and i have a 600 w amp and all the bells and whistles and never run out of power.it puts out almost 70 amps at idle

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I've discovered the Summit alternator may not have been bad. After reinstalling the original, charging, waiting, I found the battery dead again. Thought it might be relays, and replaced two of the most likely. Went out about 1/2 hour ago, and battery was down. I'm going to start pulling wires from the alternator until I find out which one is causing the problem. I have four relays - two for lights, and two for fans. I'm about ready to take out one of the fan relays and hook the fans up differently. I really hate skruing up a new battery by charging/having it discharge due to some short in the system. Now, any gurus have suggestions where to start????:dontknow:

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Are you sure the batteey will hold a load, I have seen some new ones with a dead or weak cell and not hold a load with a load tester.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts