El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have installed a 140A alternator, as the stock one didn't seem to charge enough when the two cooling fans and the AC were on. With the new alternator, it appears to be a very slight improvement. I have a remove battery location, and the charge wire from the alternator to the remote battery connection is what was originally installed. Can someone advise on what gauge wire I should be using from the alternator to the battery connector. The one in use appears to be 12-10 gauge.

Thanks

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
Here's from the Chevelles forum.

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=207925

Re: Alternator Wire Size??
this is a partial chart from chevellestuff.com
Recommended Charging-Cable Gauge Size

AMPS To 4-ft 4-7 ft 7-10 ft 10-13 ft 13-16 ft
85-105 6 6 4 2 2
105-125 4 4 4 2 2
125-150 2 2 2 2 0

factory charge wire is only 10-guage, if your going to upgrade to this kind of set-up you should research the tech reference series on the tech tab above, and or visit the mad electrical site, ot the chevellestuff.com site, all have a lot of info on swapping altenators and wiring correctly to prevent overheating (fire) wires. i rewired the front of my car with the recommendations of the MADelectrical site and it works great like it should.....

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/i...erinstall4.jpg
http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/i...-11-200715.jpg

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
i use a 4 ga. the factory one on my 94 cop car with the same alt is a 8 ga. if you have the battery remotely mounted just run a 4 ga. cable from the alt output lug to the pos post on your starter not all the way to the battery.it will make things much happier, if that alt cycles real hard it will fry that small wire and may even cause a fire.be careful. and by the way how is the misses doing ? better i hope:beer::beer:

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
She's doing much better. Taking radiation treatments five day a week. Healed up from the skin grafts/removals/cancerous skin.

Thanks for the help on the wire. I have standoffs on the pass side inner wheel well where all the battery connections are made. From there to battery is 00 wire. I need to run new wire from alternator to pos standoff. To be safe, I think I'll use 4 ga, IF I can find some that isn't stiff as a rod!!

·
0 Posts
She's doing much better. Taking radiation treatments five day a week. Healed up from the skin grafts/removals/cancerous skin.

Thanks for the help on the wire. I have standoffs on the pass side inner wheel well where all the battery connections are made. From there to battery is 00 wire. I need to run new wire from alternator to pos standoff. To be safe, I think I'll use 4 ga, IF I can find some that isn't stiff as a rod!!
Napa sells that gauge wire but Ebay might have it too.

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Brandon and Woody, thanks for the supply sources. NAPA is not that far away, so will try tomorrow. Now, why do I come here?? Because of people like you who give great info!!!!!:You_Rock:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts