El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone in the forum looking for some advice on rear coil spring. My 64 El Camino is sitting a little lazy in the back and I would like to raise it about 4 in. I know it can be done with air shocks but I really don't want that hard ride. I was wondering if there's any coil springs out there that would lift the rear up approximately 4 in if so could you please tell me a model number on them. And if you have them on your car I sure would like to see some pictures of what mine could look like. As always thank you in advance for your great answers.

·
Registered
87 Caballero Amarillo, stock 305/200R4/QJ
544 Posts
Well, how lazy is lazy? Does she ride 2" lower than normal because of old, tired springs and you just need 2" over that? Or is she riding 4" lower than normal and you want to bring her back to where she should be? Could be you just need some HD variable ride springs and airlift bags (not shocks! Ugh) which will add quite a bit of ride height, stiffness and quality over what you have now.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, how lazy is lazy? Does she ride 2" lower than normal because of old, tired springs and you just need 2" over that? Or is she riding 4" lower than normal and you want to bring her back to where she should be? Could be you just need some HD variable ride springs and airlift bags (not shocks! Ugh) which will add quite a bit of ride height, stiffness and quality over what you have now.
I would like it to for inches higher than it is now. The wheel well trim is covering approximately 3 in of the top of the rim and I would like to see the whole rim and maybe an inch or two of tire. Thanks for your reply

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi everyone in the forum looking for some advice on rear coil spring. My 64 El Camino is sitting a little lazy in the back and I would like to raise it about 4 in. I know it can be done with air shocks but I really don't want that hard ride. I was wondering if there's any coil springs out there that would lift the rear up approximately 4 in if so could you please tell me a model number on them. And if you have them on your car I sure would like to see some pictures of what mine could look like. As always thank you in advance for your great answers.
Try “Air Lift” bags fit inside rear coil springs AUTOZONE sales them. Very nice ride also good for carrying loads. Adjustable heavy duty

·
Registered
106 Posts
You have not said how old your springs are. Original? Then they are sagging from age. Aftermarket? Then they might be lowering springs. Do you want some springs that will give you a larger payload than stock? Then you can go with wagon springs and add in airbags if you need more. You have not given enough information for the forum to help you. If it is just ride height that you are worried about just put in a set of stock springs.

·
Registered
87 Caballero Amarillo, stock 305/200R4/QJ
544 Posts
The 64 doesn't ride low, the wells ride low. If you look at pics, the wells are right around the top of a set of 15's, larger rims being more hidden. That's stock. If you had 18's on the rear, you'd cover up a heap more of the rim than 15's and would need a serious rake to clear that. Which will affect drivability, your rear end pinion angle etc. Lot more wear on the u-joints.

Raising the rear 4" can be done, but to be done right requires more suspension work than just adding taller springs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts