El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm excited! My buddy and i will be starting tonight to put a brand new bed for the el camino ! Will post pics before / while / after :)

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First steps

Hello!

Here's a few pics of the on going bed restoration of my '79. More surprises than expected, it's going to be a way bigger job and will involve much more cash than i can handle right now, so i won't be driving it for a while :(

>Start

>Bad bed

>Cutting and opening

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
>Bed almost all removed, boxes are rusted out, bushing almost nonexistent... And a few old gas lines

T

·
0 Posts
Seems like a good amount of rust in the bed area. Good luck with the restoration. Also thanks for restoring your El Camino. The more we restore the more will be on the road!

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
>And some nice surprise, the spring is starting to passing thru the bracket/mount

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Will now go to some shop i've heard of where they can bend and weld some metal sheets, hopefully they can build me up some nice boxes & pillars :) Hopefully they can help out for not too much money...

Thanks Tuggy, not sure i'll be able to keep it after that, i might redo the bed and sell it so someone can take care of it. I'll be looking for one with less rust...

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I think it would be better and less costly to buy a hold new rust free body. I know of one here in Texas far 500.00. You my be able to find one closer to you.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Up here they are pretty rare... The shop is building me what i need for less than a 100 bucks, also i already have the new bed floor, so this isn't too bad.
Will post pictures of new parts.

·
Premium Member
5,784 Posts
Uli, I admire you for taking that on. The part that I would be the most concerned about is all the rust in the frame in those pictures. You definitely have a lot of fixing to do. LUCK and hang in there.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The shop will have all the "cross sections" and boxes custom built for me on Thursday so i won't have to weld anything rusty. What's left for me to find are some bushings.. and it's not easy around here.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Looks good... i know exactly what your going through... I had to do the same thing on my '65.

Give it a good powerwash now to see if anything else is lurking under the grime.
Now's a great time to address any frame issues with the bed off. Some guys weld oversized washers over the rotted body mounting holes. Can't you get body mount at your local speed shop or online?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts