El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just changed out my old 78 carpet. I bought it from A1 auto but the carpet came from ACC. It was easier than I thought to change out. The main thing is cutting the holes where they need to be. My pans were in pretty good shape so I cleaned them & sprayed them with undercoating to protect them . The black carpet goes really well with my red & black interior. I noticed how bad the carpet looked when I changed my seats a few weeks ago. I think I am done for now.

·
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was 99.00 + 15.00 shipping. It was made like my original. All the padding bonded on & molded to fit the pans & tunnel. It is lighter & actually looks like better quality than stock. It was just the floor. My rear curtain was in great shape.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I got my new carpet from A-1 as well... I would still like to find one that is of original quality! The fit was ok but not perfect and being as thin as it is leaves wrinkles in a few places.. I'd like to find a true OEM quality carpet with the "rubbery" backing! I noticed an increase in interior noise with the new carpet as well...

http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=355879&page=1

·
Registered
64 Posts
Don't know if any of you guys would be interested but when I had my seat redone the upholsterer put in the carpet too. After discussing what kind and colors we decided on Marine carpet. With the rainy weather here in Washington it seemed like the right choice. I drive mine in all weather and it stands up to all the elements real well. It's not original looking so you might not be interested but thought I'd throw it out there anyways.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
I got mine from Honest Charley's. It was a complete set for the floor, rear curtain and the doors. I believe it was a little over 100.00. Its good carpet its not the original stuff but then after adding sound / vibration dampening and heat shield padding I would guess that its just as quite or better than the original stuff. It has some backing on it but I wouldn't rely on just carpet to do the trick as far as sound/noise.

J.C. Whitney has some sheets of sticky backed vibration dampening material. Is sort of like the asphalt stuff I found in various location when gutting the inside of the truck. It comes in large sheets or small 12 x12" pieces. I might add it will conform to the contours of the panels and seals up the floorboard. I also used it in the box after re-sealing the seams.

After that was laid down, took about a day or a little more, I used a foil backed Jute padding / heat shield then went in with the carpet. If you do this in the summer, I suggest that you lay out the carpet in the sun to relax it before you lay it down. I also used a heat gun to help conform it better to the inside of the truck.

I also used the 12 X12 pieces in the doors. I covered as much of the door inside as I could get to, to help shield the sound there. I can only say it looks good but as far as noise, I am not driving it yet so I can't say. I would also guess it added some weight to the truck if that is a concern.

·
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My carpet fit great with no wrinkles. The only thing is that you must trim the outer edge. Since I sprayed several coats of undercoating to the pan before I installed it, it's noticeably quieter inside. I think this new carpet is alot better than what was original.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I got mine from Elcamino Store.Looks great. installed under it tarmats. the car is very silent now ! BTW Happy New Year!

·
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No. The curtain & carpet for the door panels are separate.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
caindo said:
Floor Carpet Set (El Camino) Part # 7712343 $129.95
from honest charleys.... does that have the curtain too?
I could have sworn that mine came as a complete set, everything - door, floor curtian and storage. But I just looked and that is not the way it is now. Maybe if you call and ask, they can give a deal on the whole set. Its worth asing about.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts