El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From the way my compressor was sounding last summer its time to replace it.
I was checking prices on a couple of websites and noticed there is a vast difference in the price of a reman. compressor ($90) versus a new one ($240 and up).

First question. Are reman. compressor OK? Reliable, long lasting as a new one? Or are they just junk in a new box?

Second question. My original compressor is an old Delco pancake type. Is this what they call an A6?

Third question. My system is still running R-12 and I guess this would be the best time to change over to R-134. Is it necessary to replace the accumulator too? I've heard both yes and no.
Opinions and advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Vendor
4,363 Posts
If it's a pancake and it's on your 82, it's an R4, not an A6. Do not buy a rebuilt R4 for your ride, unless you plan on selling it quickly. The R4 does not take to rebuilding well, and is not a good canidate for a retrofit...makes a better boat anchor.
Spend the money and get a new one....you can find one at your local AC Delco distributor for under $200.00.
If you plan on converting it, you're smart. Replace the accumulator and orifice tube, and be sure to flush the system before putting the new components on, or you'll be replacing them again in short order. Install the adaptors and ester oil (6oz,) evacuate and recharge with 2.6lbs HFC-134a.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Acauth1,

Hey thanks for the advice! I'm gonna print that off and keep it for reference when I buy a new compressor this spring.
Really appreciate your thoughts and info on this!

·
Vendor
4,363 Posts
Anytime!

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
acauth1 said:
If it's a pancake and it's on your 82, it's an R4, not an A6. Do not buy a rebuilt R4 for your ride, unless you plan on selling it quickly. The R4 does not take to rebuilding well, and is not a good canidate for a retrofit...makes a better boat anchor.
Spend the money and get a new one....you can find one at your local AC Delco distributor for under $200.00.
If you plan on converting it, you're smart. Replace the accumulator and orifice tube, and be sure to flush the system before putting the new components on, or you'll be replacing them again in short order. Install the adaptors and ester oil (6oz,) evacuate and recharge with 2.6lbs HFC-134a.
I checked a couple of websites for prices on Delco compressors. They wanted about $190 for a REMAN. Delco.
Got any websites for a new Delco for under $200 as you stated?

·
Vendor
4,363 Posts
Never have bought auto a/c parts from any website, nor have I ever found any prices better than I do at my local suppliers. Look in the phone book under 'automotive air conditioning" and find a local supplier.

·
Registered
3 Posts
rather than starting a new post i'll jump on here. i have an 84 with w crate 350 half way in .... the comprssor is toast, what do i put back in? i've seen listings on ebay for new units but the model numbers seem to change 84-91 and 86-89 ... etc for diff models. will a 85 comperssor fit on my set up? is there a size or something else difference i do not know about?
thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts