El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
will be installing it in about a month :beer:
... no! not procrastinating.

Just a lot going on at the moment like a vacation and as soon as we get back the body shop is getting it to do the bodywork and paint.
They said it'll take a week to finish :nanawrench:

The BIG thing I need to figure out are if there are one or two 3 and a half inch speakers in the dash of a 1980?

None are working at the moment so I can't tell if there's a speaker on one side, the other or just one in the dead center.

If there are two - can it be modified to fit one bigger one? any advice?

Also; any suggestions as to where I can buy very cheap MAJOR wattage speaker(s) for the dash?

My goal is to eventually have a stereo that will out thump MOST Musica Latino and Rap from other peoples car stereo's ... With some good old fashion stuff like Hank Williams Jr, Creedence Clearwater Revival and ITALIAN music!

not that I can speak Italian or even understand most of it
... but just to make a point when I am force fed other peoples music! :let_it_all_out:​

·
Registered
24 Posts
Both of mine had speakers on the sides of the dash, so I'm not sure what the dash looks like with just the center speaker, but I believe it has the grill for a speaker in the center. The two speaker dashes will have speaker covers on the left and right. Getting the covers off can be a pain since they're so close to the windshield. I use a phillips bit out of a driver set and a tiny wrench.

Link to amazon is below, the Pioneer aren't the most powerful, but they are decent for a good price. Outside of that running a couple wires to the back and setting boxes or making a rear panel help with sound staging quite a bit. Look through the audio section for ideas, a lot of members have come up with some excellent solutions.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-TS-A878-Inch-2-Way-Speakers/dp/B00009QOTA[/ame]

Good luck and let us know what you end up doing!

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wow ... hadn't thought about Amazon - thanks!

what is striking me as odd is that the books which say what size speaker to use only says 3 and a half inch - nothing about how many.

·
Premium Member
5,787 Posts
If you r dash has one area in the center with the little holes for the speaker it only has one. If it has two small areas at each corner with the holes it uses a 3 1/2 on each side. If you ordered the cover with the two on each side you will have to do some cutting and custom work to put two in if you r dash only has the one big center.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
I installed a new full dash cap last year.I had to remove an old half cap first,What a mess.Be sure to prefit your new cap before you glue it in .I prefit mine several times.I still haven't glued it in yet,the gauge cluster & a/c ,radio cover holds it in place.Had to cut out the a/c,radio opening on the new cap.It fit ok over the old dash,but the cover wouldn't fit over the new cap.It still don't fit good but I got the cover in place.I'm going to try a heat gun next.good luck.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
HEAT GUN? :???: not hot enough in Florida yet?

Was showing mine to a neighbor when I got it Saturday it was out here in NC in about maybe 20 minutes it got so hot I could barely hold it firmly

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Hey that's a good idea,I'll put the windows up & park it in the drive way for a couple of hours,on a sunny day.....and baste with an avacodo sauce for 10 minutes & serve on garlic toast!

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Hey that's a good idea,I'll put the windows up & park it in the drive way for a couple of hours,on a sunny day.....and baste with an avacodo sauce for 10 minutes & serve on garlic toast!

That sounds good.

I need to get that recipe for avacodo sauce from you.

Might be good on my vinyl top.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts