El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1984 Conquista
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could i get hopefully some basic install help. my A/C knowledge is not that great and want to see if i can tackle this myself. i also have a post "LT1 A/C hookup for '84", but want to start with this specific question. i googled and youtube searched it but didnt seem to find what i was looking for.
1) DENSO 471-9169 COMPRESSOR: NEW, instructions says comes with a complete system charge.
2)Please see my pic of the compressor installation sheet : 1)...i did this and oil came out, now i know i need to keep the amount of oil ounces (2 -1/4 oz. approx.) recorded and it is probably not all of it. Now, i know i need to put this back inside. is this plug the refill plug? this is probably a stupid question but other videos mention the 2 snap rings and this is where the refill is. Thanks! this is question 1

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
I think you should be able to pour small amounts of oil directly into the low side hose port and then rotate the compressor to distribute the oil internally.

Some say its also ok to pour a little of this compressor oil into each hose and the receiver drier / accumulator. Basically, we are trying to prevent a dry start up of the compressor and subsequent damage.

I would not want to pour all of the recommended oil into the compressor because oil is not compressible and this could cause "slugging" damage.

Rick

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1984 Conquista
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hey Rick,
this is my 1st grade level knowledge i found:
the discharge port on compressor is the high side
the suction port on compressor is the low side

When i did the rotation( clockwise w/ clutch facing my left side(compressor on my lap)) , oil came out of the discharge port. so i tried to put the oil back in the same port(while rotating it), but it took it very very slowly if any at all. So you are saying the low side(suction) of the compressor. mmm... sounds like that could be right as the suction may be the inlet and discharge is the outlet when rotating the clutch as i did

i think you are right about pouring a little oil in those areas... as i was skimming through, googleing this, i saw something like that, that people were saying

i heard about the" slugging", this, if i understood it correctly means there is too much oil in the system. About not poring it back into the compressor though, i think you are right, i may need to do, like you said, pour it back into the accumulator and hoses.

i reached back to coldhose.com abou tsome of my fitting concerns and also asked about the compressor and the oil

1 - 3 of 3 Posts