El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 71 El Camino that I've been restoring piecemeal for a number of years, and I finally have the money to completely replace an aged and problematic drivetrain. I want to drop in a new 350 crate engine (probably something around 380HP), new hardened TH350, and a new LS differential. I haven't had the chance to check out whether the rear-end is 10-bolt or 12-bolt since the car currently is stored remotely though.

Is there a particular setup anyone recommends? Also, any suppliers/manufacturers that people really like?

Thanks for the info and sorry if information is being rehashed from other posts.

·
Premium Member
12,122 Posts
Either the 10 or 12 bolt will work fine for your planned 350. The gear ratio is something you will want to find out about likely. You have to be aware of the difference in later 350 engines versus the early types, like one or two piece crank seal and flex plate differences etc. And also determine what type of converter you want, like stock for daily driving and gas mileage, or a performance type with higher stall etc.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The engine I am considering comes with a one piece rear seal. I was thinking of getting a converter with a stall somewhere around 2400rpm.

Are there are issues I need to consider when trying to pair the transmission with the differential?

·
Registered
463 Posts
find out where the power band of the motor comes into play, then take into account your driving habits and how you are going to use the car. high stall converters are a ton of fun, they do have draw backs. low stall converters dont make the heat but you dont get to take advantage of higher rpms out of the hole.
Its a balancing act. 2400 is pretty mild stall. should be good for most driving and give ya a little extra hole shot.
Any time you add a higher stall converter, add a cooler. cheap insurance.

·
Registered
12,538 Posts
welcome palmer187
383's are sweet,,not that much extra nowdays,,and yep a 700 od would make it purrr on the freeway,,
on the street its all about the low end torque..:secret:
it all depends what you want to end up with,,
with all the heads/cams/gears/converters out there now its a tuff choice,,
as someone said "power is easy,,traction is the problem"...:texas:

·
Registered
591 Posts
amen to that and welcome palmer!!!!!!

·
Deputy Director Region 6 - 2013 Founders' Award Re
3,686 Posts
700R4 and 3.73 rear and you have the best of both worlds low end and cruise with out any stress and gets some MPG's. ONCE you go OD you will never go back, just make sure it a street strip 700 built for 450 HP and you will be fine.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
welcome palmer187
383's are sweet,,not that much extra nowdays,,and yep a 700 od would make it purrr on the freeway,,
on the street its all about the low end torque..:secret:
it all depends what you want to end up with,,
with all the heads/cams/gears/converters out there now its a tuff choice,,
as someone said "power is easy,,traction is the problem"...:texas:
That should be the El Caminos slogan, " traction is a problem!", but in my car that's half the fun

·
Premium Member
676 Posts
I just swapped over to a 700R4 from a TH400. What a difference! I love it and am no longer stuck in the right lane on the freeway! 2200 at 70 mph beats 3100 any day.

Traction? What traction? My 700R4 takes all the abuse that a Brodix headed 540 can put out. The tires don't have a chance. I first put it together with a 2800 stall and have since replaced it with a 2200. If you need the torque, go high stall. If you already have torque, high stall makes it less fun and more work.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts