El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my 86 ECSS back in 2009 , it had single exhaust plugged into a Flowmaster mounted sideways in the rear with 2 short pipes coming out of the muffler with big chrome tips . It was very loud with a bad drone . You couldn't hear the radio/ CD player or talk to your passenger sitting right next to you even with the windows up .Sooo...after all this time & many long trips to car shows all over Florida I finally had it done . Now I have TRUE dual exhaust with 2 Magnaflows & a new tranny X member & reused my tips . It idles quieter & cruises quieter & when you punch it , it is louder , I can now hear the radio & talk even with the windows down ! & no drone , they have a completely different sound . Before you ask I don't know which Magnaflow it is but is supposed to be a quieter one & I don't know what X member it is either . I wanted to take pictures up on the rack , before & after but they were very busy in the shop . If I ever get it up on a rack again I will . I ordered a bunch of small parts & will be fixing a lot of minor problems with the Elky now . Hope to see youall at the next show we go to .

·
Registered
517 Posts
Interesting. You'll definitely have to post up some pictures when you can. Exhaust harmonics is it's own science altogether and personally is why I have huge mufflers on my Elco and exhaust cutouts for when I want to be a hooligan. I run a 3" exhaust with magnaflow mufflers on my other car that I fabbed myself and it's been a bear to try and eliminate drone on that car. Overall as far as my understanding goes, flowmasters have a tendency to drone more than other muffler types and magnaflows can be hit or miss as they have several different muffler types they use. One of my favorite brands of mufflers I've used are spintech mufflers. They didn't drone too bad and sounded awesome but were pretty loud all told.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Way to Chris, maybe you can hear the radio and talk to your passenger again. I think mine are Flowmaster Super 50's. I will have to check my paperwork but I think I am right. They are pleasantly softly loud.

·
Director Region 6 (FL) - 2017 Founders' Award Reci
4,730 Posts
Chris , Good to read that you have finally redone your exhaust system . I have driven in a few rides that had that noise/harmonics problem and it was a drag . Fortunately my 83 and 87 did not do that . My 87 exhaust comes out of the headers and back to Flow Master mufflers , then out 4 in. tips that have a slant shape . When asked which muffler to install , I told them to install what would be considered the medium between quite and loud . Having insulated the cab ; including , the overhead , makes my music so much more enjoyable . I guess Mary can now fully enjoy her heavy metal music :oops:

Reactions: Chris Nelson

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mary likes Yanni , her being half Greek . I like soft rock 60-70s . Yanni puts me to sleep .

·
Registered
4,158 Posts

·
Registered
4,158 Posts
Tenn. Supposed to be about 50 today. How are you and Mary doing?

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tenn. Supposed to be about 50 today. How are you and Mary doing?
We are OK , 80s in daytime 50-60s at night . CJ lost Tootie a few weeks ago. 14 Elkys at show Jan 30 in N. Palm Beach . Put new duals on my Elky . What's your ride these days ??

1 - 9 of 9 Posts