El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. My name is Nathan. I have not come up with good forum name yet so Nathan will have to do for now. I am a senior citzen who was transplanted from Pennsylvania to Florida as a teenager. I am a retired engineer and have spent my working life building the safety , ( signing, signals, guardrails, lighting, etc.) portions of our highways. I live in Wesley Chapel, Florida which is about 20 miles north of Tampa.

Newly proud owner of an El Camino. I have always liked them but raising a family did not leave room for vehicles that did not hold everyone. After the children were grown and didn't want to go with their parents I bought a 2004 and then a 2007 Dodge Ram pickups with the Hemi engine. Yes, they did have a Hemi. I turned them into money pits, modifying engines, custom interiors, custom paint, etc, etc, etc. Last one hit the dyno at 957 and did the 1320 @ 11.35. So much money spent with so little return when sold.

Enough about that. Anyway when I sold the last one I decided to buy something I liked as it sits and not spend money on modifying it, (I bet you have heard that before). I have always liked the El Camino's so I started looking. Saw many that I considered across the country. They are out there but people often over state the condition of the vehicle. I finally found one I fell in love with It at first sight. It is a 1987 Choo Choo Customs model. It only has 64,461 documented miles on it and appears to have been taken care of. Don't get me wrong, it has a few things needing attention, the radio sucks, the drivers window raises and lowers quite slow, the passenger seat refuses to slide back. But, it gets thumbs up every time I take it out
Remember what I said about not modifying it.

Well, I have already put 15" wheels and larger tires on it and installed a bed cover.

Looking forward to meeting you folks as soon as this pandemic is over.

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,648 Posts
Welcome from Gainesville FL !
We like pics
Check out region 6 (Florida) in the Regional Discussion Forums , We are a very active group going to events around Florida
But the Virus has slowed that down this year
I have a Big El Camino event at the Gainesville Raceway every year but it was cancelled
but trying to have it July if it's ok to gather up ?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Welcome Nathan. Glad you found a fun ride to enjoy. My El Camino is my money pit. The smiles per gallon is worth it though.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
236 Posts
Hello Nathan, and welcome to ECC, from a '78 Caballero and a '79 El Camino in Seattle, Wa.
Nothing wrong with stock, enjoy the thumbs up as you get them.
My '79 is all stock, low miles, and often gets a thumbs up as well.
My '78 is getting upgrades as I have the time and resources, while still being a daily driver.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Welcome from near Atlanta! I like vehicles that are all stock and I like them that look stock but go better than stock. I’d be tempted to hide a 383 stroker under black valve covers and smog tubing on yours! We like pics, too.
Patrick

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
Earlier than gen 5 is great in stock form. Gen 5 left a lot to be desired unless it’s a 78-79 with factory 5.7 L. Enjoy your ride and welcome to the club.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Director Region 6 (FL) - 2017 Founders' Award Reci
4,565 Posts
Welcome from Gainesville FL !
We like pics
Check out region 6 (Florida) in the Regional Discussion Forums , We are a very active group going to events around Florida
But the Virus has slowed that down this year
I have a Big El Camino event at the Gainesville Raceway every year but it was cancelled
but trying to have it July if it's ok to gather up ?

View attachment 129925
Nathan , Welcome to Region 6 , Florida . We are glad you posted as we are no longer being notified by AutoForums ( runs the website ) , when a new person joins .Had you not previously posted ( and thanks to 78elk ) , we would not have known you existed . With that said and as 87next2last1 mentioned , we are hoping that things will clear up enough that we can reschedule Steve`s Gainesville Get Together and 1/4 Mile Run . Obviously things have slowed down for us but we are a very active region and have had events /meet ups in Ocala , Palm Beach , Deerfield Beach , Orlando etc. There are several active members that live in the Tampa/Bradenton area that you will hopefully be able to meet . While it is slow now , please feel free to post in Region 6 and other forums on the site . I assume you received my welcome letter already and if there is anything that we can assist you with , be it meeting , info on your Choo Choo . We welcome all daily drivers , beater , show cars and works in progress .

·
Premium Member
807 Posts
Earlier than gen 5 is great in stock form. Gen 5 left a lot to be desired unless it’s a 78-79 with factory 5.7 L.

I'll take your 78-79 with a factory 5.7 and raise you an 87 Gen 5 with a 5.3 swap! You are right if talking factory equipment, but a simple LS swap in one of the lightest ElCo's ever built is way more fun than a barrel of Mopars!

Joe

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
I'll take your 78-79 with a factory 5.7 and raise you an 87 Gen 5 with a 5.3 swap! You are right if talking factory equipment, but a simple LS swap in one of the lightest ElCo's ever built is way more fun than a barrel of Mopars!

Joe

Joe
The LS swap is solid choice no doubt.

Reactions: 87ls5.3

·
Premium Member
1,328 Posts
Hi everyone. My name is Nathan. I have not come up with good forum name yet so Nathan will have to do for now. I am a senior citzen who was transplanted from Pennsylvania to Florida as a teenager. I am a retired engineer and have spent my working life building the safety , ( signing, signals, guardrails, lighting, etc.) portions of our highways. I live in Wesley Chapel, Florida which is about 20 miles north of Tampa.

Newly proud owner of an El Camino. I have always liked them but raising a family did not leave room for vehicles that did not hold everyone. After the children were grown and didn't want to go with their parents I bought a 2004 and then a 2007 Dodge Ram pickups with the Hemi engine. Yes, they did have a Hemi. I turned them into money pits, modifying engines, custom interiors, custom paint, etc, etc, etc. Last one hit the dyno at 957 and did the 1320 @ 11.35. So much money spent with so little return when sold.

Enough about that. Anyway when I sold the last one I decided to buy something I liked as it sits and not spend money on modifying it, (I bet you have heard that before). I have always liked the El Camino's so I started looking. Saw many that I considered across the country. They are out there but people often over state the condition of the vehicle. I finally found one I fell in love with It at first sight. It is a 1987 Choo Choo Customs model. It only has 64,461 documented miles on it and appears to have been taken care of. Don't get me wrong, it has a few things needing attention, the radio sucks, the drivers window raises and lowers quite slow, the passenger seat refuses to slide back. But, it gets thumbs up every time I take it out
Remember what I said about not modifying it.

Well, I have already put 15" wheels and larger tires on it and installed a bed cover.

Looking forward to meeting you folks as soon as this pandemic is over.
Hi Nathan and welcome from So Cal! Good luck with your new toy.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My thanks to everyone for your welcome. I sure am looking forward to meeting as many members as possible as soon as this Covid is gone.

R/T

1 - 19 of 19 Posts