El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking for someone to reguild my th250 in the NE area. Modern shops didn't want to do it. ANy suggestions?

·
Venerated Member RIP
2,918 Posts
I guess business must be real good for them to turn you down. Had a '66 powerglide rebuilt a couple of years ago by a chain outfit. Eagle Transmissions here in Dallas....

Good luck, Hopefully Tranny Mike (one of our resident transmission experts) can offer up a suggestion for your part of the country. maybe you will need to put it on a pallet and ship it somewhere for overhaul :dontknow:

·
Registered
929 Posts
I feel your pain Eric, no good shops in my part of the northeast either. Here's my opinion. The th250 is a pretty wimpy transmission to begin with. If you are going to stick with the 3 speed auto, I would upgrade to a th350. For 600 bucks you can buy one complete from summit racing or jegs, both which claim to hold up to some pretty high numbers. If you do the work yourself, you would probably be out the cost of a basic rebuild. A rebuild for my 2004r would be more then a grand from what I have been quoted. Just my :twocents:.

·
Executive Committee Board Member
727 Posts
FIRST OF ALL - Welcome to our club Eric - and to Region 2. We're all looking forward to meeting you.

It's good to hear about another 4th gen under renovation

I have an old timer in Quincy who has done some work for me... I will stop by on Monday and ask him about your 250.

But on the other hand I like Mikes idea of upgrading to a 350. It will probably be a whole lot cheaper. However if you are shooting for stock and original - then that's not gonna be an option, huh?

Either way I'll talk to Paul in Quincy on Monday and let you know.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Eric, I ran into Ross today and he says he could rebuild your TH250, but he says you would be better off getting a TH350. He says he could help you with that also. Check around and if you don't have any luck, give him a call, it couldn't hurt.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Welcome aboard Eric. Don't know what area of region 2 your in, but if your in S.E. Mass. give me a shout. I've got a real tranny pro for ya. Did a total high performance build on my Elk last year. Great work, and believe me I've tested it out....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I meant th 350. Sorry . TYPO. I'll give Ross a call, thanks.

mgs 72, I'm on the North Shore.

THis old truck has been rebuilt and beat down a few times I think. Id like to keep the matching #'s though.

Thanks for all the advise!

·
Premium Member
844 Posts
Fairfield Automatic Transmissions, Fairfield CT

1 - 9 of 9 Posts