El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,
Ive been a car fanatic for a long time, always driving beaters just to scate by untill i get a nice old vehicle. MY dream car is a 1969 Pontiac GTO, hard top, 400ci engine, ram air 4 hood. but thats not happining anytime soon. my family + friends are saying i need a truck, because i am always using thiers to move stuff around like my motorcycles and dirtbikes. I dislike tall vehicles, so i would not get anything bigger than a ranger/s10. long story short i like raw power, and i found an 87 el camino for sale. I traded a broken dirt-bike for it. (not really broken just a messed up carb, but it was a cheap Chinese POS.)

The 87 el camino has the turbo 350 tranny in it, with no toque converter and no motor, thats why it was such a steal. so i am going to restore most of it except the engine and driveline, that is getting a big more modern improvement. It does have a lot of small faults, busted front windshield from vandles, and a busted tailgate (looks like a baseball bat to the top seam (pretty good sized dent, un-repairable)

since i got it, i have cleaned everything up, checked the breaks, and took inventory of everything i have. the floor pans are in great shape and there are only 2 spots of rust, and one of them is just starting infront of the rear tires. but this winter i am putting a new windshield in, and planning on putting thermal/sound insulation in, and getting new carpet. than replacing the tailgate.

come spring i plan to undercoat the frame. and start on the drive stuff. rebuilding the rear end, cleaning up the drive shaft. and rebuilding the transmission. than with money i am saving up over the winter i plan on getting a halfway decent 350 to put into it.

This is my first car that i can take my time working on it, do everything right the first time. I will be asking alot of questions, some of them pretty dumb.

some things i noted already;
how hard is dropping a motor in? do i need to take all the air compressor/ water pump etc off first?
how hard is putting a manual transmission in from automatic?
any electric swaps done? going to an electric motor.
swapping from bucket seats to bench seat or reupholster the seats i have?
headliner install?

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Hey Josh.. welcome to the forum.
A few things first.. We all like pictures so post some asap. that helps us see what you're working with.
2nd.. raw power and 5th gen Elco is an oxymoron..
3rd.. I don't think the 87 Elco came with the Turbo 350 from the factory. Mine came with the 200-4r. That's a 4 spd automatic.
4th.. You can get a NEW 350 crate engine from Jegs for around $1400. that's better than a half-way decent one.
5th.. you don't need to remove the water pump to install the engine. The other accessories.. alt, p/s pump should have stayed with the car. It kinda depends on what all was removed when the engine was yanked out.
6th.. I have not done the auto to standard swap so I can't speak to that. I do know they make all of the components for the swap.
7th.. going to an electric motor? Not sure what that meant. I was always taught that anything that was internally combustible is called an ENGINE.. anything that was powered by electricity is called a MOTOR. So are you wanting to install an Electric motor instead of a 350 engine? Please clarify.
8th.. going from buckets to a bench seat should pose no problem. Most folks go the other way. If you convert it a std transmission.. you'll want buckets. May I suggest some from a Toyota Supra.. like mine! 2013-07-10 14.22.14.jpg An easy install if you have any fab skills.
9th.. Headliners can be bought with the correct fabric already installed. These new ones are made from formed ABS plastic and are easy to install. They cost around $120-150 with all the clips you need.
Hope this helps. Others will chime in but look out for the guy that will tell you to paint everything orange! He's trouble..

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Josh, welcome from mid-Michigan.

Doug

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Welcome from Watauga, TX. Glad you're here. Looking forward to watching your build progress.

·
Venerated Member RIP
4,461 Posts
Welcome Josh and remember, there are no dumb questions here.
We all had to start somewhere.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone. here is where i am hosting my build project pictures. but i will also try to include them in the posts.

I am planning on getting better pictures as time progresses.

how can i verify what transmission i have, the seller says ____ is what i was going by (to start with)

I was looking at a GM Performance long block for 2400 from summet racing, i also saw the bunch on jegs. it all depends on what income tax i get and what i can save durring the winter. i am blowing alot on restoring my 1981 yamaha XJ750 maxim i alreayd got it running right now i am dropping another 1k into making it look great.

THe guy before me grabbed practically everything from the engine bay. radiator, heater box, anyting attached to the motor, except the tranny. so it is going to be a project getting the wiring done, and the ECU.

One of the ideas is to turn this muscle car into an electric vehicle. because i dont have anything realy related to the gas engine, either way i am starting fresh. I have no exaust system, i have no radiator, no heater core, nothing. so i am going to be dropping about 5-10k into the gas engine components. i could build an electric vehical for about 8-15k and wont have to do any tune ups, or buy gas again. The electric motor will be able to roast tires, and be extreamly quick, but will have limited range. but with the amount of power i hope to acheave with the gas engine it to will have limited range due to my lead foot.

thank you for all the feedback.

btw if i was to paint it orange it would actually be carnival red. but under the black paint is this dark blue/gray color, with flakes.

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
New B

:Welcome!: Josh, No matter what you decide there plenty of members that can help you along the way. If you put a running jegs create motor in it, It will also give you a 3 year 36,000 mile wty. Just a pieace of mind to keep you going.
From Nick & Don
Grove City, Ohio :newbie: bowtie smile

1 - 16 of 16 Posts