El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey now,

Just replaced all bushings, ball joints, and tie rod ends in my front end. Project went OK, but I'm a little concerned about how tight things are. For example, it takes two hands and a fair amount of effort to turn the steering knuckles now (with the tie rod ends off of course). Control arms seem to be reluctant to move as well (they move freely, but its a two handed effort).

Maybe this is normal. Everything is greased and torqued properly. Would just like to know if I've screwed something up before it comes off the jacks.

TIA

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
nope---all new parts it will be a bit stiff turning.

Now---for the control arms-----they should also be hard to move up and down.
BUT--you need to loosen them when you finally set the car on the ground and retighten
when the front suspension is fully loaded.

If you do not do this, the new bushings will be short lived.
the rubber bushings are vulcanized to the shells and the metal insert in them as well.
when you tighten them with the car in the air they will not be in a 'neutral' position when lowered and that will stress the rubber.

tightened when the car is down on all fours, they are in a more neutral position and will not be so inclined to stress or cracking.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did not know that. I will loosen and re-torque once the control arms once the car is back on the ground. Thanks for the tip!

·
Premium Member
5,768 Posts
They are talking about the bolts in the ends of the control arm shaft that holds the big washer against the bushing. NOT the two that mount the shaft to the cross member. just in case

1 - 5 of 5 Posts