Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote from the article ...

Rep. Tom Petri (R-Wis.) said on Tuesday that an increase in the 18.4 cents per gallon federal gas tax "resonates" with a lot of people involved with transportation funding issues.

Petri said while speaking at a "Safe Routes To Everywhere" event at the Capitol on Tuesday morning that lawmakers have heard from truck drivers who are volunteering to pay higher taxes on diesel gasoline to help improve the condition of the roads they drive on.

"When we had our initial hearing, the Trucking Association came down and said 'they're not in the business of raising cost for their members or making life more difficult for their members, but they supported raising the diesel fuel tax on the truckers because they wanted to have a first rate, efficient transportation system," said Petri, who is a member of the GOP's leadership team on the Transportation Committee.

I dare the honorable Mr. Petri to walk into a truck stop and shout that.

Read the entire article here.

Copper

D

·
0 Posts
the guy is a idiot, if anything, they need to LOWER the gas taxes, it is simple, if gas is cheaper, people will drive more, if they drive more, they will get more tax revenue.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Why don't they stop bullying folks across the planet, reducing the need for billion dollar aircraft, multi-billion dollar ships, and billions in ammunition/training etc, then they can invest all that in the roads.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I keep pointing out to people who complain that "big oil" is gouging the public that if you want to point a finger at the guy that is getting rich off of oil, look no farther than the government.

The various levels of government (Federal, state and local) make an average of 12% ($.50) off of every gallon of gasoline sold. Exxon, as an example, made only $.07 off that same gallon of gas. These are August 2012 numbers, but nothing much has changed since then.

But yet, while the politicians are waving their hands about in the air over "windfall profits," they are preparing to vote an increase in the amount of their take.

Get into the nitty gritty details here.

Copper

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Yeah, I love it. They tax you when you buy the car, when you own the car (in va at least, with 'property tax'), when you register and title the car, when you get and renew your license, when they pull you over for breaking the rules, and at every fill up. Somehow none of this is enough to build decent roads? Gimme a break!

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
Copper, be careful! It is coming to the Carolinas. Thankfully our Gov Nikki has vowed to veto it. Whow, she's pretty! Dale

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Best looking female politician I've ever seen in murrica. Still not my type of people, but vetoing taxes is a good start.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
What The H

Anything to keep the people in there place, just keep taxing and raising prices to keep us from growing, they need the money more than us to fund there high life style.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's just what we need to improve the economy -- more taxes. NOT!!

That is the richest part of all of this. The politicians give tax breaks to get people to buy fuel efficient cars. They force the automobile manufactures to build high efficiency cars that most people don't want.

So when people do buy these cars, and the amount of fuel consumed is reduced and their tax review goes down, they are astonished.

What is it about politicians ... do they remove half your brain when you go into politics?

Copper

·
Registered
603 Posts
That is the richest part of all of this. The politicians give tax breaks to get people to buy fuel efficient cars. They force the automobile manufactures to build high efficiency cars that most people don't want.

So when people do buy these cars, and the amount of fuel consumed is reduced and their tax review goes down, they are astonished.

Yeah,it gets worse.So many people up here in this corner are buying hybrid or electric vehicles that the pols have seen a dramatic decrease in their fuel tax revenues needed to support their flagrant spending habits.They're kicking around proposals to directly tax us per mile driven/per vehicle.Either thru GPS readings or regular odometer checks.I'm sure it's under quiet consideration in other states as well.The fleecing of the flock continues......

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
The rechargeable vehicles aren't practical in many states, especially Tx. It's fine in the cities that are well equipped with transit service, but if you live in rural areas, it won't work. Where we live, we couldn't get to the nearest city and return on one battery charge. Not only that, but as our Governor said "you can't haul a bale of hay in a Prius."

·
Registered
532 Posts
As far as fuel economy goes,i don't think they are making any headway, in 1991 my wife bought a new ford festiva (yeah i said it) that averaged 45 mpg and cruised comfortably at 80 mph (interstate) on her 2 hour daily commute, i can't find a single car (maybe a hybrid) that gets that kind of mileage today..........

As far as more for taxes for roads, my elky rides like a cadillac, (better than some caddys) i can deal with a few bumps in the road.............

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
As far as fuel economy goes,i don't think they are making any headway, in 1991 my wife bought a new ford festiva (yeah i said it) that averaged 45 mpg and cruised comfortably at 80 mph (interstate) on her 2 hour daily commute, i can't find a single car (maybe a hybrid) that gets that kind of mileage today..........

As far as more for taxes for roads, my elky rides like a cadillac, (better than some caddys) i can deal with a few bumps in the road.............

The problem is weight. My Civic weighs almost 3,000 pounds. That '91 Festiva only weighs 1,800 pounds. That's another thing you can blame on the government ... as they mandate more and more safety equipment, cars are getting heavier and heavier.

In my opinion car's have had adequate safety equipment for years ...
Blind Spot Monitoring? We called review view mirrors.
Lane Keep Assist? Steering Wheel.
Anti-Lock Brakes? We learned to threshold brake.
Vehicle Stability Control? Again, the steering wheel.
Traction Control? Throttle.

In my opinion, these systems aren't making the roads safer, they are making them less safe because drivers are getting more and more lazy. The single best piece of safety equipment in a car is the person behind the wheel.

Copper

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The rechargeable vehicles aren't practical in many states, especially Tx. It's fine in the cities that are well equipped with transit service, but if you live in rural areas, it won't work. Where we live, we couldn't get to the nearest city and return on one battery charge. Not only that, but as our Governor said "you can't haul a bale of hay in a Prius."

Really, most won't work anywhere other than urban environments. If I were to drive just to work and back I might be able to make it on one charge.

But ... it takes so long to recharge the car after fully depleting the battery that I would have to leave for work the next morning before the car is fully charged. Now what?

The Tesla might be a possibility ... the car looks fantastic, has the range, goes like stink ... but I don't have a spare $90,000 laying around to buy one.

Copper

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
You don't have 90k laying around? What kind of person doesn't have 90k laying around! Sheesh. You'd think some folks actually work for a living. :new_vampv:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.