El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
That is why I will have my stock bumpers re-chromed when the time comes. I bought aftermarket bumpers for an '86 C10 I worked on at one time. They lasted longer than 95 days though.....unreal. Hope they stand behind their product, good luck.
:sneaky1:

·
Registered
4,518 Posts
Old beer cans mostly!

I had mine done by Keystone Plating in Brainerd MN They have a booth at the Back To The Fifties car show every year. Spent close to $400.00 ea. but have a lifetime 100% re-chrome warranty if ever pits etc! I was warned about Goodmark and all aftermarket bumpers having this problem! I know some will have had good luck and maybe don't need the show quality chrome but it is nice! they have been on E.C. for almost 5 years and still look brand new! Good luck with your exchange! I'd raise hell!

still can't download pics?

·
Premium Member
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you considered just painting the bumpers. Not the same look as chrome but an idea. I had some rust and pitting on mine and had the body shop repair and paint the same color as the body. It has been over 10 years and they are holding up well.
no, not on the El Camino, I have painted the ones on my wagon and like it but it wouldn't look good on this car

·
Registered
245 Posts
what about chrome paint? i know it is not the greatest option but pretty cheap and easy to apply. i know the chrome paint looks like it has gotten way better over the last little bit than it use to about 10-15 years ago.

·
Super Moderator
2,130 Posts
One thing to really look at when you buy chrome is to make sure it is triple plated chrome. If it says driver quality it more than likely is not triple plated. Triple plating or show chrome is dipped in copper, then nickle and finally in Chromium. That way it is sealed and the metals will not act on each other. If that bumper was triple plated. which I doubt, it was thinly plated and the metals are mixing.

I would call the company even though it is out of their window for return and see what they can do for you. I would think that they would honor a replacement at least. And 2x to the guys that are saying replate rather the replace.

·
Premium Member
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You gotta love Rock Auto. I got an email, but really no help from Goodmark so I went back to Rock Auto...they are shipping me a new one and will deal with Goodmark for the credit. EVEN though it's past the 90 return window.

This is not the first time Rock Auto has stepped up for me.

·
Premium Member
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One thing to really look at when you buy chrome is to make sure it is triple plated chrome. If it says driver quality it more than likely is not triple plated. Triple plating or show chrome is dipped in copper, then nickle and finally in Chromium. That way it is sealed and the metals will not act on each other. If that bumper was triple plated. which I doubt, it was thinly plated and the metals are mixing.

I would call the company even though it is out of their window for return and see what they can do for you. I would think that they would honor a replacement at least. And 2x to the guys that are saying replate rather the replace.
Oh, I was well aware it's probably not triple plated, it's just driver quality, but should last a few years, not a few months. The ultimate plan is to ship my original to Tri-City in TN, they did my front bumper more than 10yrs ago and it's still nice and shiny.

·
Registered
4,518 Posts
Glad to hear that!

Did you contact Goodmark to see what they would do? I had mine done over the "WINTER" months here so I didn't need any bumpers! lol ; ) :bigups:
IMG_4017.JPG

You gotta love Rock Auto. I got an email, but really no help from Goodmark so I went back to Rock Auto...they are shipping me a new one and will deal with Goodmark for the credit. EVEN though it's past the 90 return windo

Attachments

·
Registered
214 Posts
Had my originals re-plated at Tri-City Plating in Elizabethton, Tn., very pleased. Been just over a year now.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
I would like to put my .002 $ in. I have twice had problems with rock auto purchases. They went above and beyond both times to be sure I was happy when all was said and done. Really good people to do business with. Unless its a time sensitive emergency type of repair I buy everything I need from rock auto.

·
Registered
61 Posts
For anyone considering a chrome alternative that isn't paint, PVD coatings is a great alternative. I had a set of American Racing wheels that were black chrome, and the finish was amazing. Most of the ads are for wheels, but like chrome plating, just about anything that'll fit in the equipment is game. Many of the shops that do powder coatings also can do this now; this is just one of them:

http://americanpvd.com/pvd-chrome/

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Oh, I was well aware it's probably not triple plated, it's just driver quality, but should last a few years, not a few months. The ultimate plan is to ship my original to Tri-City in TN, they did my front bumper more than 10yrs ago and it's still nice and shiny.
Hey Ed , Jay "El Chromeo " uses a plater here in Melbourne , they have a real good reputation state wide & is a lot closer , I think the name is Spacecoast chrome or Melbourne chrome , check with Jay .

·
Registered
4,097 Posts

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
You gotta love Rock Auto. I went back to Rock Auto...they are shipping me a new one and will deal with Goodmark for the credit. EVEN though it's past the 90 return window.

Good to hear Rock Auto is taking care of you! I've just recently bought rear brakes for the '68 Camaro from them, mostly because they advertise so heavily on the car shows I watch.

·
Registered
266 Posts
For those in Region 6, I'll add my thumbs up for Space Coast Plating. I use them for my Caballeros and my Corvettes.

A

·
0 Posts
It is possible to use an acidic primer for chrome-plated parts, which creates a protective film on the surface of the part and is 0.5 microns per metal. This will promote better adhesion of the paint to the chrome part. Then apply a standard primer for painting and then the paint itself.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts