El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at buying a set of performance headers hoping someday they will transfer to an upgraded 350. Are my exhaust ports on the heads of my 305 round or square?:dontknow: Or should I wait until I get the 350 to decide on headers? Was hoping to buy the little things along the way in order to keep the cost spread out. Make me feel better as if I didn't already know I was spending a lot of money on my truck.:beer:

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Headers would be cool but we had a deal a couple months ago at the auto zone, and they had flowtecs for $105.00...

·
0 Posts
By the way what are hedman runnin price wise?
I'll tell you straight-up. You're gonna have problems with the fitment with those Flowtech's. My Hedman's ran around 175 shipped,then I paid another 250 to have them ceramic coated for protection.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have Edelbrocks TEC headers on mine, cermanic coated, and they have held up well for the last 12 years. They cost me $600 back then. I should probably replace them soon. They have been welded at the air tube connections a few times to correct small leaks.

The OP asked about exhaust ports on an 305; If I remember correctly mine are oval [square-ish] but the headers are round. I was told by a mechanic/exhaust welder to use square port gaskets as they worked best "in his opinion". So I did.

I would ask you experienced header experts which style of gaskets you prefer to use? Square or round? I know that Steelbeast likes to double-up his gaskets and I may try that next time. Also, is there any particular brand of gasket that seems to be more stout on holding up to time and useage?
Thanks for insight...Greg

·
Registered
742 Posts
Iam running Hedman "shorties" on my 79 with a 383 Stroker.

Had them coated at JetHot and they sent me a pair of gaskets which I think were originally made by Detroit Gasket Company.

Regardless of which gasket set you run be sure you re-torque them after 5 hours and then again around 10 or 15 hours.

Arnie in Iowa

So far so good

1 - 10 of 10 Posts