El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to everyone, new to the forum and new proud owner of a 1985 El Camino from Idaho. I have only had it about two months. Had to break c19 lockdown, travel to another state to buy it. Very happy I did. What a pleasure to drive and I get a lot of comments when I do take it out. As stated above my EL is an 85 with the SS trim package and completely Stock( although the seats may have to go after reading about the 96
Camaro seat swap). Looking forward to getting to know some other El Camino owners.

Greg, from Idaho
IMG_20200606_123525.jpg
IMG_20200606_122829.jpg

·
Premium Member
7,971 Posts
Hi Greg, welcome from Idaho, and welcome to area 19. Glad you've joined us. I'm at Mountain Home. Where abouts are you located. You have a sweet looking 85. Enjoy and have fun with it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:geek: Welcome Greg, Glad you found us.
Have fun and enjoy NECOA. Sweet
Elky.
From Nick & Don
Grove City, Ohio.. :)

Maybe we can get together sometime. I've got some items to get worked out on my 78then maybe find a place we could meet up.
Rich
I think that would be great Rich. when you get things worked out with you EL let me know and we can set up a day.
Greg

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great looking Z15! I think I’ve seen that one, or one like it, advertised before (the Oldsmobile rims give it away). Welcome aboard from Georgia!
Patrick
Thanks for the welcome Patrick, You have a nice ride yourself. Forgive my ignorance since I am new to all things El Camino. What does Z15 stand for?

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
It’s just Chevy’s code for Sport Appearance package (which was ‘Super Sport’ until the Choo Choo SS took the name ‘Super Sport’ in ‘83). All the Z15s through ‘85 say Super Sport on the dash and have two tone, air dam, less chrome, sport mirrors and a few other things. ‘83 and back Z15s say ‘Super Sport’ on the lower door and tailgate. Choo Choo’s don’t say Super Sport on the dash, have the aero nose and are usually solid color or custom panel paint. The dash style changed for ‘86-‘87 and lost the badge altogether. Confusing? Yep.
Patrick

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It’s just Chevy’s code for Sport Appearance package (which was ‘Super Sport’ until the Choo Choo SS took the name ‘Super Sport’ in ‘83). All the Z15s through ‘85 say Super Sport on the dash and have two tone, air dam, less chrome, sport mirrors and a few other things. ‘83 and back Z15s say ‘Super Sport’ on the lower door and tailgate. Choo Choo’s don’t say Super Sport on the dash, have the aero nose and are usually solid color or custom panel paint. The dash style changed for ‘86-‘87 and lost the badge altogether. Confusing? Yep.
Patrick
Thanks for the info Patrick, Another "maybe silly" question mabe. Why do they all the later models Choo Choo? Do they resemble a train?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Maybe we can get together sometime. I've got some items to get worked out on my 78then maybe find a place we could meet up.
Rich
Hi Rich, I replied to you post but somehow it got mixed up with another post so I don't know if you saw it. I think it would be a great idea to meet some time when you are ready. I am semi-retired so have a fair amount of free time.
Greg

·
Premium Member
4,199 Posts
@My85EL
Back in the 80's there were companies that would customize vans and trucks and sell them through dealers.
One was Choo Choo Customs in Chattanooga Tennessee. GM authorized them to make special Choo Choo customizations where the El Camino was sent to the Chattanooga plant and they were modified.

Check this very informative thread about El Camino Choo Choo Custom vehicles.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
@My85EL
Back in the 80's there were companies that would customize vans and trucks and sell them through dealers.
One was Choo Choo Customs in Chattanooga Tennessee. GM authorized them to make special Choo Choo customizations where the El Camino was sent to the Chattanooga plant and they were modified.

Check this very informative thread about El Camino Choo Choo Custom vehicles.
Thanks for posting that Old Bear, That was a very informative article and it looks like E-Man put a lot of time into it. Now I know what a Choo Choo El Camino is.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts