El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright your not going to believe this but on Spetember 1, well you read.

A new law was passed on September 1st that it is illegal to have a bracket around your license plate. Brackets such as; dealership, sports team, college alumni. No brackets are allowed of any sort!
If a police officer pulls you over for having a bracket around your license plate it is a $200 fine. Yes $200...thanks for the notice! Marvin Zindler had a special report on this last night. People are being pulled over and given tickets that had no idea about this new law.

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/news/90903_local_plates.html

Just goest to show you it is always somthing! (Roseann Roseanna Danna)

·
Registered
481 Posts
Do you happen to know the reason that this law came about??? or is there even a reason, just the state wanting some money.

·
Vendor
4,363 Posts
Well, that's really going to piss off the Rainbow Coelition members around in Austin, they have such pretty rainbow license plate frames!

·
Registered
266 Posts
Do you happen to know the reason that this law came about??? or is there even a reason, just the state wanting some money.
I bet you anything that it had to do with the ricers. I know they have a new law in Cali. that limits the sound output of your car. It was a direct result of ricer fart pipes and sound systems. I bet you this is the culprit:
Neon plate frame

·
Registered
105 Posts
Probably well-intended law meeting revenue opportunity.

There are license treatments that are problems for law enforcement, such as altering letters, covering renewal stickers, obscuring visibility. And there are those that pi** them off by denying camera-based revenue opportunities, such as polarized covers and shiny clearcoats.

So, well-meaning, yet easily-led legislators pass law intended to make sure the numbers and renwal information is clearly visible, and that you can't hide from red light and speed cameras.

But, the wording includes the magic word 'design', so you can willfully interpret it to cover anything that touches anything on the plate besides background color. And at $200 a pop, you can rest assured that interpretation will be willfull indeed.

Here in NC, we are only just beginning down the camera enforcement path, but I bet serious money this Texas legislation will be cloned here and elsewhere in a matter of a few years. There's gold in them thar hills! Just like the red light cameras, a civil citation, so completely different burden of proof. One of the local municipalities even stacks on huge additional fees if you dare to challenge your red light ticket, again perfectly legal since it's just a civil proceeding.

<Notices he has begun ranting, counts to 10 and wipes foam from keyboard>

On the Ca law - at least it didn't pass in it's original form. As originally designed, it was all in the ear of the beholder (can you say arbitrary enforcement anyone). At least as enacted it has specific numbers so you can prove you do or do not comply.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Who knows why they do dumb stuff like this but it could be that they want to make sure Law Enforcement can ID the car while driving. OR... Income generator or both.

I just love the way they can pass laws and never inform the public what they are intending to do until after and then with a citation. Hell of a price to pay (200 smackers) for "knowledge", since "Ignorance of the law is no excuse."

They are enforcing it. I have only one vehicle with a frame. Its my 93 Pickup. I don't do a lot of extraneous decorations on the outside of my vehicles, I figure that is taking away from the overall appearance of the car or truck. Especially my Elkys. I also have special plates on most and as much as that costs each year I don't want to hide them. So for this one Its a dealer frame and it can go with no heartburn.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Its a double edged sword. Based in LAw enforcement I couldn't tell you why lawmakers make strange laws but I can tell you the outcome.

One the good reason, if a cop see a car that is particpating in illegal activities and there is no way the cop can legally pull him over, but then the cop sees a license plate frame and then get a legal way to pull them over and make the arrest. For example some people think its stupid to have a law against not using the turn signals but the largest drug bust in Illinois was due to a cop pullin over a car that failed to use the turn signal.

Now the bad, the one thing I hate is it will allow dirty/******* cops the oppertunity to harass people that really aren't doing anything or harming anyone. I worked with a officer like that a lot of the time I wanted to kill him. But it was quite a joy to watch him lose a court battle though :).

There are goods and bads to everything you just have to have the right viewpoint

Another thing about that in Indiana you can get pulled over for foriegn material on your license plate that includes: Dust, Mud, Grime, and License plate frames...So we already have that law and its quite hidden...

Maybe its just me but I think making a law like that with out telling anyone is like installing a clean piece of glass in the trees for the birds to fly into....

·
Registered
165 Posts
It's all about money guys...all new laws are brought about to generate cash. Especially the EPA's laws about emissions, but that's another rant.

Yep, it's harder to read the plates when they're blocked by frames. I don't have any cause I don't like 'em, but they are getting worse about blocking the plate...

With the state's budget lowered by the amount of non-tax payers we have here now as well as the lowered buying power average of our population, you can bet the new idiotic laws will be flying out of Austin.

I have the answer to all budget problems, but no one will listen....just stop paying jurors.....period...billions are spent each year on this $10 a pop in Dallas alone. Then maybe the new laws would slow down....

Just hope they never outlaw cars older than 20 years old!!

·
Registered
100 Posts
IF they want to make money by making laws heres the solution to all....

outlaw stupidity :D Anyone wanna second that?

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
Hmmmm...lets see, $200 bucks! How about Texas being a little nicer. Issue a screw driver to every Cop so he can remove the license plate bracket. "Excuse me Mam you have a very dangerous license plate bracket there, and I'm going to have to remove it for your protection. Now step away from the car with your hands up."....Naw that won't work, none of those dangerous brackets will get removed if it's raining. Well how about, gee :idea: maybe a warning ticket for the first offense, and $50 bucks for the second offense. And maybe double the fine for each subsequent offense? I have seen brackets/tinted covers that obviously were put on to cover the number or at least partially hide it. BUT $200 BUCKS! Ever notice the trucking industrys rear license plates...if it's just the tractor, where I live, they don't have them on the back anymore, just the front, oh yeah the trailer has a plate, it's so beat up on some, you couldn't read it if you were 2 feet away. But of course they pay road taxes don't they? Hmmm...lets see $200 bucks, who you kiddin pal?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts