El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Name is Greg. Recently bought an ‘84 El Camino with 5.0 305. She runs, but needs work. Big beginnings with carb rebuild and new engine.

Any rough estimates on what I should pay for Jasper 5.0 305 small block and plus labor...I got quoted $5,300 plus tax that included $600 core credit...

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
Hi Greg, welcome from Idaho. Glad you've joined us. I don't know much on the engine prices. It depends on what your end goal is, others have put in an LS1 in theirs. Others will give you their opinions. Enjoy and have fun with it.

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,391 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,982 Posts
Greg is in California, so he has some smog constraints.
Yet I agree that he should check into the GM Performance products 350 195 engines.
I believe they can't be distinguished from a 305 unless you take them apart.
I believe the accessories and smog stuff should adapt.

I think @HKDUP87 has experience with a similar swap in LA area.

·
Premium Member
3,982 Posts
@HKDUP87 Here is his thread on converting to the 350.

Some posts about 1/2 way into page one talk about a cam swap. Near the end of page two, that idea appears to get scrapped, due to benefits of keeping the one with the motor and it's warranty.
There also is a partial parts list of items needed for the new engine (oil, plugs, intake manifold gaskets, paint ...etc).

I don't know if this was for his 1987, or if it was planned for the 1985 and got cancelled when he and Dale found the 509 ci big block.

·
Deputy Director Site Contributor
1,455 Posts
Greg, welcome from Sam Diego. I’m in San Carlos area.
I’m not sure about the installation of the Jasper engine. I would go with a GM motor.
Are you having someone do the install?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts