El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am hoping to get off my but and finally finish my first registered car, a 79 el camino. I blew the motor back in 2003 and decided that i needed to do some body work. I tore the car down and found tons of bondo, which led to tons of rot. I at about the same time had a daily driver, and little time so the car sat. Then i got some free time and had a 81 320 fall in my lap which got me hooked on track days and auto cross and sucked up tons of time and money. car went from a nice reliable 80 hp driver to a 300 HP turbocharged monster. I got in a rather bad crash in another car on some back roads in a Subaru, shattering my sternum, ribs, wrist and knee. more time went by. I didn't race for a while due to the injuries and life getting in the way, and o yea i got into guns thinking it would be a cheap hobby. That worked out well lol.
Over the years i have been collecting parts, and casually working on the car. I have convinced my girlfriend to drive me down to my parents house where the car is on weekends so i will have no choice but to work on the car.
My plan is to make it a comfortable highway cruiser since the BMW is far more fun on back roads than the highway, but for now there is much work ahead of me.
Before anyone asks, the BMW as it came to me,

and now

The elky as she sits:

One good thing is the frame was scrubbed down and coated in por 15, and i have a open diff 8.5 with 3.42s in it

I do not see myself getting much done until may, but who knows at this point is just a matter of sanding, welding in patches and getting the bodywork done. After that i will have to figurre out the drivetrain. I would like to build another 383 and put a manual back behind (original 4 speed car)it like a T5 but to be honest, I do not really care if i have to throw in a 305 and the b and m turbo 350 i had in it to get it moving for now.

·
Executive Committee Board Member
727 Posts
Chris - I am one of the people you will probably meet !

Glad to have you on board - sounds like you've got a lot of work ahead...

let us know when your on the road
or
what parts your still needing - someone may have a lead for you locally

GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
929 Posts
Welcome from another region 2er! One of my good friends has an 86' 325i that he just finished putting back together, very fun car for the back roads.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Western mass checking in, hope to see you around

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Chris,
A welcome to the site from Mid-Michigan.

Doug

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Chris - I am one of the people you will probably meet !

Glad to have you on board - sounds like you've got a lot of work ahead...

let us know when your on the road
or
what parts your still needing - someone may have a lead for you locally

GOOD LUCK
I spend a bit of time in your area, i have friends in middleboro and my friend owns acme armament in your town

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got some stuff accomplished this weekend. Sandblasted the rusty areas in the door jams, got the worst of it off the floors and figured out where i need to fabricate new metal. I think this is a good place to start before i bolt the body down. More was done after these pics but i was in a hurry to leave and didn't take any more.

Why i have rot here i do not understand, all cleared out now (no pic of it done though)

I also am in the process of bending up new fuel and brake lines. Brake lines are done, just need to get the fuel lines done and bolted to the frame.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Been a while since i updated this, I got the rest of the interior sandblasted where it needed to be and started cutting out and replacing rotted metal. I didn't take pictures of that being done, but i did find this relic hiding in the insulation behind the drivers seat from my teenage years lol.

I used my plasma cutter to get rid of the old rotted metal and for cutting the new steel since like a moron i forgot my shears and had to make up the difference in weld. I didn't get a ton done as a result, only 3 holes patched. 3 more to go, I should get them done tomorrow.

If things go really well ill make brackets for my seats. They are recaros out of a VW. Very comfortable.

Almost forgot, fuel feed line is done, i need to get more line to do a return line just in case i go fuel injection again which i probably will. I still have my TPI and a 3/4 full bottle of NOS

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
welcome from Wisconsin

·
Registered
82 Posts
Welcome Chris, Gotta lot of work ahead of you, but it sound like you can handle it!
Crystal Coast of NC, now gwt back to work!!! lol Ken

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hey Chris from the Crystal Coast of NC. Looks like you've got of work ahead of you, but it sounds like you can handle it, I bet she'll be a real looker when you're finished, now get back to work!!! lol Ken:beer:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Got most of the floor patched this weekend, just need to clean up my welds since i am using a welder that isn't well suited for sheet metal but it is working. I didn't get anything else done in the time i had but cut out the remainder of the cancer, make new sheet metal, weld it in and give it a quick prime. I also found the reason my plasma cutter sucked was because it wasn't getting enough air. I thought it was because it was a 110v one and i heard they sucked, but the power available at my parents house makes anything else impossible. After i fixed the regulator it was perfect.

For anyone curious why there is still rust on the floorpan, i am using por-15 type product on the interior and underside of the body as a safeguard against rust in the future. I only took off enough to make sure the scale was removed but a tiny bit is ok since the paint will convert and bond to it much better than bare metal.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok go the last of the holes patched in the front, i think next i will run all of my fuel and brake lines since i ran into a snag on my seats.

I am missing the front part of the bracket on both. Im not positive what they came out of, so if anyone knows please feel free to let me know :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts