El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

El Camino has been my dream car since I was 15, and just bought one 2 weeks ago. Shes an 87 with 90k miles, all original. She needs alot of TLC, and I've recently gotten her valve gasket and thermometer replaced, breaks done, tune up, oil change etc. etc. Now that shes in stable running condition, I've turned my focus to getting her A/C and radio working.

Quick question about the radio - guy at the shop told me I would need a "Double DIN" stereo/head unit to replace it. Is this correct? Any suggestions about the Make of a head unit that would work? Most websites I have visited said a Double DIN would not fit in my camino, but they look to be around the same size. I just want something with bluetooth, it dosent have to be fancy.

Excited to be a part of the community! Attached a picture of Camilla (Cami) here.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Your ELKO has a 1 1/2 DIN opening. Don't know of any 1 1/2 radios. Must mfgr's heave adapters to use a single DIN. Don;t chop up your truck to make a double DIN fit...……………...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your ELKO has a 1 1/2 DIN opening. Don't know of any 1 1/2 radios. Must mfgr's heave adapters to use a single DIN. Don;t chop up your truck to make a double DIN fit...……………...
Thank you much! Having a hard time finding any 1 1/2 - Could I get a 1 and an adapter?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, you can buy a single and adapter, or buy a rebuilt unit (or have yours rebuilt) or but a later model GM 1.5 DIN with CD player.
Patrick
Hey thanks Patrick! Do you know what kind of adapter I'll need? Not seeing any specific for an 87 Chevy

·
Registered
43 Posts
look for unit for 87 El Camino. Amazon, BestBuy & Crutchfield all tell you what you need and can supply it

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Broaden your search. Whether you’re looking for an aftermarket kit, a direct fit original or later GM Delco unit, if it fits a Buick Grand National or 86-88 Monte, it’ll fit your Elky. The later Delco radios need a harness adaptor but they’re readily available. Kirban sells them on their Turbo Buick site.
Patrick

·
Registered
330 Posts
Might want to look around this site and see what you think.

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
:geek: Welcome, Glad you found us.
Have fun and enjoy NECOA. Their
are alot of 1 1/2 din available on line
that will work with your elky. if you
want an OEM radio.Good luck hope
you find something that tickles your fancy.
From Nick & Don
Grove City Ohio.. :)

·
Registered
272 Posts
I put one of these in my 86. Will fit without cutting anything in an 86-87. Wiring adaptors are available so that you don't have to cut your stock harness, It's been so long ago I've forgotten where I bought the radio and harness, but it may have been mnrelectronics.com

·
Director Region 6 (FL) - 2017 Founders' Award Reci
4,562 Posts
Might want to look around this site and see what you think.
If you have not already done so , check out the " Search Feature " here on ECC . This question was recently asked by another member and I `m confident you will gather some info there .

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
86-87 radios were larger than 85 & below , I have a Pioneer am-fm with CD player with adapter in my 86 with rear speakers in smugglers box . my 86 is same color as yours .

·
Registered
229 Posts
Welcome to ECC, from Seattle, Wa.
I like your '87. Looks good. Glad you took care of safety before getting the tunes. I regularly drive a '78 Caballero, but I have a '79 El Camino also. The '78 has been getting upgrade improvements for 2-1/2 yrs so far, and still has a couple or more years to go.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts