El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
7,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure you've noticed the large number of "New Members in Regions XX" messages on the HOME page the last couple of days. I didn't realize when I begin the project that we would have so many new members on the two initial days (15 in two days!) So far, the messages have been pretty disruptive, causing other messages to be removed from the HOME page and stored back in the sub-forums where they originated. The messages should eventually go away from the HOME page once I've cycled through all of the Regions by placing at least one new member in each. ONLY one new Thread will be created in each Region - other new members will be placed in the initial Thread, and thus not show up each time thereafter because Threads that are modified or otherwise edited are not considered new Threads or posts. I hope that explains what will happen.

The new initiative allows both old and new members to look in their respective Regional Discussion location to see if a new member is close to their own location, and in any event, to send a personal welcome PM to that individual. In the past, a new member message showed only their Region - you will now know their hometown and State! If the person turns out to be a neighbor, and you want to send an eMail - I can arrange that. The goal of the effort is to enable more member-to-member communications, drawing new members into the camaraderie and fellowship of our El Camino family. Please do your part to help the new members feel welcome and an important part of us................Ken

·
Administrator
7,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bump.................

Bump................

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
I like to greet new members from the For New Forum Members Only. I don't like to greet them as a group. :sneaky: I like them to feel I am taking time to notice & greet him or her, one on one.

·
Elkybuick
2,846 Posts
I have to agreed it is important for new members to see how much support they have.

·
Deputy Director Region 6 - Supporting Member
6,209 Posts
Replacing the welcomes to new members when they introduce them selves in the 'Newbie' forums is not the intent of this as it is explained in post#1. So by all means continue to do that! The goal is to spark communication among members within their respective Regions. Communication between members via the various 'Regional Discussion' Forums can also lead to more activity in those places where there is currently little or none. One only has to take a peek at the likes of Regions 2,6,13, and 18 to see where just an extra howdy to another member nearby can lead. We have many more areas/Regions that can be just as active in time. It can begin with a little more chatter within, so to speak.

Thanks! :beer:

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'm on forums for SN95 Mustangs, V6 Mustangs, Dodge Charger forums, a Yaris forum (my wife's car), and this forum. Elcaminocentral and the Yaris forum are by far much friendlier. Usually if I try to do a tech article on the Mustang or Charger forums, I get all this backlash over why my project is a dumb idea and why I am an idiot for even attempting to be different or trying to fix a problem (try to do any kind of V6 anything on those forums and you'll see). I mean seriously -- if you have a 2 valve V8, you suck because it's not a 3 valve V8, or a 4 valve V8. If you are different in any way, you suck because it's not the way anyone else would do it and they are not shy to tell you so. The bickering is endless and really discourages young hot rodders (I'm 27, I started hot rodding about 3 or 4 years ago) which is a shame.
That's not the case here, though. I've always held this forum in very high regards as to how everyone is treated and I can't tell ya'll how great that is. I always feel welcome, and I know every new member is welcome too. It makes for a great online community that I can share ideas and frustrating issues and always get great feedback in return. I think as long as any new member feels as welcome as I did, or still do, then everything's cool with me. :fluffy:

·
Administrator
7,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don & Bob...............

I fully agree that it is very important for us to make the new members welcome. And welcoming them as they post in the "For New Member..." Forum is an important part of that. However, only about 1 in 10 to 15 members post a message in the New Members area. As I've already said, the new postings were never meant to take the place of the hearty welcomes in response to the New Members postings - they are meant to foster communications between Regional members by making the Regional members aware that a new member may be near them. But, if they do not post in a New Members message, you will now have the ability to send a personal Message (PM) to the new member who you would never have known about otherwise.................Ken

·
Deputy Director, Region 4
929 Posts
with each logged-in visit, I check Members List, advance search for my Region, and sort by Join Date to see if there are any new joinees.

·
Deputy Director, Region 4
929 Posts
...to contact and welcome them if they have registered and are visiting the site but have not yet introduced themself as a new member.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I like to greet new members from the For New Forum Members Only. I don't like to greet them as a group. :sneaky: I like them to feel I am taking time to notice & greet him or her, one on one.
Very important! Thank you for being a good friend/host to new members like me.
Before hitting the post reply button, I went back to read other posts between yours and where my reply will show up. I read how others appreciate the way they are treated here. I must say, it sounds like ECC is the gold standard for auto forums. That makes me glad to have found you, and I look forward to interacting with this group.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts