El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll try to keep the long story short ...

I purchased a '71 Chevelle back in 1999 since it was so close to my original car, and I started getting into the "car" hobby. I liked the look of the '66 Chevelle and started looking for a '66 project car but couldn't find one. I did find a local guy selling his '66 El Camino, so I bought it in 2004. It was in the middle of a restoration that he couldn't complete and was totally disassembled, but mostly done. He was unable to find a buyer and started parting it out, selling the front fenders and transmission before I bought the rest. Then life happened and the project sat until this fall (2016). Now that I'm retired I'm determined to put the '66 back together.

The plan for the car is to make it look stock(ish) but drive like a modern car so I can use it as a daily driver for at least 1/2 the year. I'm currently mocking the car up with new fenders, quarter panel and trans before disassembly (again) and paint.

Body
- obtained donor '66 Chevelle fenders and am fixing with weld-in patch panels. Bought reproduction inner fenders.
- Weld in new left rear quarter panel that came with the car.
- the rest of the body is free of rust, so primer and paint the original Regal Red.

Interior
- Previous owner had restored interior to black, which I will keep. Dash will be modified for Vintage Air system.
- Tunnel will be modified for Tremec 5spd trans.
- Change from bench to TMI bucket seats.
- Dynamat, etc.
- relocate battery to smugglers box.

Engine
- came with rebuilt 350ci (now 355) '70 Camaro 350hp engine w/2.02 heads, Edelbrock RPM cam, intake (should be 400+ hp).
- Added Vintage Air front runner system.
- may go to fuel injection, budget permitting.
- Tremec 5spd trans
- Posi 3.42 rear end (original)

Suspension
- Change to Lee PS box.
- SC&C stage 2+ suspension
- Kore3 big brakes (manual)

Needless to say I'll have lots of questions.

Best Regards,

Tom Tomlinson
Ballston Spa NY

'71 Chevelle
'66 El Camino (in pieces)

·
Registered
702 Posts
Tom, Welcome from Maryland! :Welcome#:
Best wishes on your build. Looks like you have a solid plan.

·
Premium Member
4,664 Posts
Hi Tom,
66 & 71. My 2 fave years. Enjoy da site!

·
Premium Member
8,132 Posts
Hi Tom, welcome from Idaho. Sounds like a great plan on a classic truck. I want to wish you and your family a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

·
Premium Member
698 Posts
Welcome Tom....sounds like a great project.....you should move your thread to the " Document your restorations and modifications" section to note your step by step progress on your build. It's good to see another old retired guy following thru with a restoration on a fine classic!!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll try to document the build in the "Document your restorations and modifications", as I'm already doing it via my Facebook album. I find the FB album a great way to add photos with comments during the build, but obviously the audience may be less interested than the members of this forum.

Tom

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
:*Welcome*:from Pennsylvania, Tom.

Oh, and :tree:MERRY CHRISTMAS:tree:

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
:Welcome!: from Yuma AZ. Enjoy the site and the build.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Welcome :Welcome!::Welcome!::Welcome!::Welcome#::Welcome#::sleigh::sleigh: Tom.
You will find a heck of a lot accumulated knowledge here.
Should you elect to have Tom Lee do your steering box and pump expect a 5 to 6 week turnaround from the time you ship it out to them. Excellent work, had mine converts to a ""close" ratio box and rebuilt the pump to match.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Welcome. Retired in Nevada. Almost done with my restomod after 14 months.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Welcome. Retired in Nevada. Almost done with my restomod after 14 months.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Welcome :Welcome!::Welcome!::Welcome!::Welcome#::Welcome#::sleigh::sleigh: Tom.
You will find a heck of a lot accumulated knowledge here.
Should you elect to have Tom Lee do your steering box and pump expect a 5 to 6 week turnaround from the time you ship it out to them. Excellent work, had mine converts to a ""close" ratio box and rebuilt the pump to match.
Steve:

I agree about the knowledge on this site. The reason I joined is that I kept researching things for the build and kept finding good stuff on this site. Figured I might as well join.

I've already purchased a new 12.7:1 Tom Lee box through SC&C. I'm not sure when it will get here, but there is no rush since I can mock everything up with the old box. I figure I'll put the old box in the Chevelle, which has manual steering now.

Tom

·
Deputy Director Site Contributor
1,455 Posts
Welcome Tom,
From Sunny San Diego Ca.
66's are the best year IMO. Keep us posted as to your progress.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts