El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought an 81 SS from the widow of the origianl owner.

Two questions---It is all stock (305, 115K miles), except for new paint, and is in what appears to be great shape. I paid $3500....is that a good deal?

Second---I know it's got the factory 305, but I'm not sure what tranny came with this model.....

thanks

·
NECOA Founder
844 Posts
If it is a TH200, TH200c or TH2004R the "codes" will be on the right side of the transmission oil pan. It could also have any of four different versions (2 Buick and 2 Chevrolet) of the TH350 automatic. Standard transmission for an '81 Elky was the 3-speed manual (except in California), and you could order a 4-speed manual (even the showroom brochure doesn't show the 4-speed, a mid-year bulletin from Chevrolet allowed ordering a 4-speed manual transmission.)

The "source" code stamped in the governor cover will identify which TH350 you have if it's a TH350. Y=THM350c, J=THM350 from GM of Canada, K=THM350 from Buick and B=THM250c.

Source if this info is "Catalog of Chevelle, Malibu and El Camino ID numbers 1964-87".

Super Sport, great shape, new paint, original owner, sounds like a better than fair price to me.

·
87 Choo Choo
1,406 Posts
ElkySS said:
Super Sport, great shape, new paint, original owner, sounds like a better than fair price to me.
I'd have to agree...paid the same here. I'd really to see a couple of pictures! :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks

thanks for the help. where would I find the governors cover (don't worry, that's not the last dumb question you'll hear from me)?

as soon as I get a digital camera I'll post some pics.

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
I guess that would depend what State your in, but it's probably in his bedroom, WHA :?:passenger side of trans, towards rear of trans, right about where crossmember bolts to trans, I think it's about 2 1/2" in dia. for the 200 models. But if it's a 250/350 or 700 I believe it's on the drivers side.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Same question

I have that question too. I got a 1983 SS, 39,841 miles all original except the choo choo Nose ( I think thats the name of it) garage kept since the day the owner got it brand new, excellent condition no dents dings ect, the interior looks new. a faded SS decal on the back but thats it. I know I can buy new original decals but was the price of 5,000 reasonable more than resonable? I will get some pics up I think it was a great deal but I was wanting to ask more qualified people. 8)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts