El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
350 4 barrell dual stock exhaust, body is a little ruff along with the interior, got it to build a drag car that can be driven to the track, Looking to get a new fiberglass hood for this car, where is the best and cheapest place to get it, and any other suggestions for me

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
I haven't heard of many sucess stories with those Glass hoods. They don't always fit correctly and some are pretty rough looking out of the box.

You can replace the Bed Floor, its just tack welded on, with some aluminum plate, the Bench seats weigh a ton, along with the padding in the floor. Replace the glass with Lexan windows and get rid of the doors guts. The doors weigh 2 tones each. I have had them off and it takes two people or one and a overhead wench to get them off and on. Too bad no one makes Glass doors for this year model. Or I haven't seen any.

I think, not counting the first generation Elkys, those are the heaviest models that Chevrolet / GMC ever made. The regular 1977 El Camino weighed in at 3,797 Lbs. Actually the 1976 Model weighed in at 3,821 Lbs which makes it the heaviest El Camino bar None. The first gens didn't compair to the Middle 70s as far as weight.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Intresting note; in 1976 the Corvette weighed in at 3428 Lbs with the 454 option R/S. Not the Camaro but the Corvette according to NADA. That is only 400 Lbs difference between it and the El Camino in 1976 which was 3827 Lbs.

For every 100 Lbs you gain 1/10 on the ET so the Vette was only 4/10ths faster option for option in 1976. ~ Roughly ~ 8O

·
Registered
105 Posts
Yes and no, depends on the part. From the dashboard forwards, at least for early 4th gen, it seems to be pretty much always yes (not counting emblems), so for things like the hood you seek I would say yes. Once you are back past the dashboard and door hinges you have to start doing more homework, because sometimes there are differences you wouldn't really expect.

·
Registered
165 Posts
bas77camino said:
350 4 barrell dual stock exhaust, body is a little ruff along with the interior, got it to build a drag car that can be driven to the track, Looking to get a new fiberglass hood for this car, where is the best and cheapest place to get it, and any other suggestions for me
Congrats on the Elky....for racing I'd get the Harwood glass hood....not the cheapest....Unlimited is but their hoods are not good quality.

·
Registered
165 Posts
ElkyPete said:
Intresting note; in 1976 the Corvette weighed in at 3428 Lbs with the 454 option R/S. Not the Camaro but the Corvette according to NADA. That is only 400 Lbs difference between it and the El Camino in 1976 which was 3827 Lbs.

For every 100 Lbs you gain 1/10 on the ET so the Vette was only 4/10ths faster option for option in 1976. ~ Roughly ~ 8O
What are you smokin'? You couldn't get a 454 in either the '76 Vette or Elky....and what's the R/S about? 8O

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Actually... According to the NADA price guide that was an option for both vehicles. So "Yes Jennifer, there really is a Santa Claus" and the R/S is Rally Sport or the base line for Camaro and I suppose for the Vette (for that year) also because that was also an option.

My actual point was the weight of the vehicles in 76 not their options.

Finally, I am a grandfather of two, what would you have me "Smoking"?

·
Registered
165 Posts
ElkyPete said:
Actually... According to the NADA price guide that was an option for both vehicles. So "Yes Jennifer, there really is a Santa Claus" and the R/S is Rally Sport or the base line for Camaro and I suppose for the Vette (for that year) also because that was also an option.

My actual point was the weight of the vehicles in 76 not their options.

Finally, I am a grandfather of two, what would you have me "Smoking"?
Something really good I'd say.... :D

There was NO 454 option in 1976 for either car...see the link below for proof of the Elky engines...biggest was the 400 that year.

Nada has never been an expert on much of anything option wise. The original dealer's brochures I have access to are much more reliable.

I know what the R/S option was on a Camaro (not one in 76 though), but there was also no Rally Sport Vette or Elky option ever. There was a Gran Sport Vette...quite rare and pricey though.

I understand your point, but I really doubt that 4/10's was the difference between the two. The Vette had much better suspension and tires as well as lower rear axle ratios (higher numerically).

El Camino engines from Dan Carr's pages.

I don't want to start an arguement, Pete, but when I see posts like this I like to keep things straight. Many people depend on sites like this to learn as much as they can about our cars. I can't stand misinformation of any type (even mine). If I ever typed something that wasn't right, I want someone to call me on it.

It's a common smart aleck remark to ask what someone's been smokin' when they make a comment like yours...kinda like the one you wrote about Santa Claus.... :D

Here's the 1976 Vette facts page...there were several 350's available, but nothing bigger...

1976 Vette Facts page

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Kelly,

You're absolutely correct. The car and truck weights were just disguising my plot. :twisted: I wanted people to believe that there were 454s in 76 Elkys and Vetts. Darn man, you caught me! :oops:

Now I'll go smoke my peace pipe! Or is it a piece of my pipe or perhaps a piece in my pipe. Or maybe just get a piece.

Yep just get a piece.

I am a little dismayed though. You see the other quote "Yes Jennifer, there really is a Santa Claus" is actually wrong too! It should have been "Virginia" not Jennifer. Smoking as much as I do, wreaks havoc on the short term memory! I am somewhat disappointed that you didn't call me on that too. I guess we all slow down in our old age.

I free to go now sir? :D

Zoom Zoom Zoom! :wink:

·
Registered
71 Posts
:idea: I would also try to make a fiberglass front bumper as they are very heavy. If this isn't allowed in your area than you could look for an aluminum one from a camero around the same year of your Elky.

You can make a fiberglass mold by removing your front bumper and building a box a little bigger. Wrap your bumper in plastic wrap, fill the box you made with plaster and set your bumper in deep enough to get the shape. After it has set (probably 2 or 3 days) remove bumper and lay in more plastic wrap, build up layers of fiberglass mat and resin until it is strong enough to bolt on, and wah laa
you probably will save 20 to 30 lbs.

Jeff :D

·
Registered
165 Posts
ElkyPete said:
Kelly,

You're absolutely correct. The car and truck weights were just disguising my plot. :twisted: I wanted people to believe that there were 454s in 76 Elkys and Vetts. Darn man, you caught me! :oops:

Now I'll go smoke my peace pipe! Or is it a piece of my pipe or perhaps a piece in my pipe. Or maybe just get a piece.

Yep just get a piece.

I am a little dismayed though. You see the other quote "Yes Jennifer, there really is a Santa Claus" is actually wrong too! It should have been "Virginia" not Jennifer. Smoking as much as I do, wreaks havoc on the short term memory! I am somewhat disappointed that you didn't call me on that too. I guess we all slow down in our old age.

I free to go now sir? :D

Zoom Zoom Zoom! :wink:
Hahahahaha....very good Pete!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts