El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
O.K. I just bought a crate 350/260 hp "DAILY DRIVER MOTOR"
Here's what I bought. Total price delivered $1463.96 I just ordered it so if there's some reason this is wrong let me know quick to cancel please.

GM Performance #809-10067353

GM Goodwrench 350 Engine
Was: $1,499.99
Now: $1,449.99Ships Monday

brand new block and can be used as a replacement for most GM vehicles from 1973-85. It produces 260 HP and 350 ft/lbs of torque with a 4-bbl carb and headers. It can be used as a replacement or as a retrofit into almost any vehicle. This brand new 350 crate engine comes with a GM warranty and is covered for 3 years or 100,000 miles in applicable GM vehicles only. JEGS has the GM Goodwrench, Chevy 350 engine for sale at a great price!
350 Engine Specifications-bolt main with 2-piece rear main seal
Cast iron crankshaft
LT1/LT4 powdered metal connecting rods
Cast pistons (dished)
Hydraulic flat tappet cam (.383''/.401'' and 112° lobe separation)
Cast iron cylinder heads with 76cc chambers
8.5:1 compression ratio
Block is compatible with left or right side oil dipstick (Requires Plug for Unused Side - Plugs are Included)
4-quart oil pan
Timing tabs for a 6-3/4'' or an 8'' balancer
Recommended spark plug: Accel #111-574 or any spark plug with 14mm .460'' reach, 5/8'' hex, tapered seat, projected tip
JEGS

This universal 350 ci engine uses a Easy Kits are designed by the

In the truck now is a 1987 305 1-peace rear seal and the new motor is a 2-piece rear seal so I was told I'm going to need to change the flex plate but we will get to that later.
I have never done an engine swap and this project is just that a swap not a conversion with blower cut the hood and get a new set of center lines. Sorry to burst your bubble.:poke:

I have all the time in the world but when I start it's till the truck starts. I will take a week off once I have all the new parts needed. What I need to know now is what I need and there's what I got .
For tools my friend has a hoist and time to help me but has never replaced a motor by himself but he does have two hands and no job .
I have a good set of sockets with breaker bar with swivel and other basic tools. I will buy a tork wrench I have the Haynes complete tear down with pic's. and all the specifications needed to tork down and You tube and of course the best of the best YOU.
Any special tools I need? Lets start here first then once I have the info then I will start asking about the motor.
Thanks
Robert

This universal 350 ci engine uses a Easy Kits are designed by the

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Cool purchase! Looks like someones tryna step the power up!:beer:
DON'T START THIS IS A "DAILY DRIVER SWAP":poke:

When I first joined I was thinking about doing this and I started a thread just like this DAILY DRIVER before the day was over I was confused and had about $10,000.00 worth of Texas Hot Rod Equipment under the hood.:texas: That's how I met the Triple "D"

·
Participating Member
2,257 Posts
That's a great starter hot rod engine! You can stay with a basic driver set-up with good performance or equip this power plant burn the road. You can't go wrong with this small block.

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's a great starter hot rod engine! You can stay with a basic driver set-up with good performance or equip this power plant burn the road. You can't go wrong with this small block.

Thanks
I never done this so I need to start with is there any special tools I will need? I have the basic breaker bar good socket set hoist will get tork wrench and a friend out of a job willing too help but never did a swap by himself and I will take a week or so off till it starts.

·
Registered
28 Posts
It wont work with the intake you have now if it is an 87 as they were Changed to the new style heads with canted bolt holes in the center 2 bolts on each side. In short you will have to get a new intake..

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
:poke:be sure to protect that Nice new paint job!

It's going back for a complete re-paint they went to quick and by the time they fix what's wrong Hector said he'd just shoot it again so I can wait on the paint till after the swap .
Thanks
Robert

·
Premium Member
12,547 Posts
Get some good fender protectors (save that paint.)
When I do a motor swap I buy new everthing I can afford. It don't have to be the best, just new. Belts, hoses. ect..
Good luck, keep the pics coming!!!:nanawrench:
Donny

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
A GM oil pump priming tool, cheap insurance. (think JEGS carries them)

How are your motor mounts?

You are going to have a fun project going here... :beer:
Yes that's why I'm starting with tools and once I have that info I will move on to all the motor parts I will need. I don't want to get overloaded all at once that's why I need to know about the tools first please. I want this to be fun and have all my ducks in a row so I'm not running all over town trying to find something that was forgot. I did this with my complete swap of all the under the hood A/C parts and with everybody and especially Mike's help everything was there and ran smooth and running correct still to date on the first attempt. :nanawrench:
Thanks
Robert

As were going along almost every thing under the hood on my 305 is new except the oil pump fuel pump water pump and distributer. Anything else if I can see it it's been replaced in the last year with a 4-row and new fan clutch in my parts room (spare bedroom I'm not involved with any women or thinking of it in the near future unless it drops from the sky.) Sorry didn't mean" it " SHE.!!!

·
Registered
929 Posts
Will a different flexplate be need for this swap? I have an 86' and I know it has the 1 piece rear main seal like your 87'. I have contemplated this swap myself

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Hey Robert, you'll need a set of metric and sae wrenches. Lowe's carries the Kobalt brand and they are fairly inexpensive and a good quality tool. I have the combination open end/box end set of both. Get some extra long screwdrivers or pry bars too. It hard to tell you everything you'll need so there will be things that you have to make a trip to the store for. Unless you do this for a living its impossible to know what you'll need. Get a good creeper too if you have a concrete slab to work on. Plenty of rags and hand cleaner. So how many miles are on the 305 now? Mine just rolled over to 308,000 and still only a small puff of white smoke when I start it.

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Will a different flexplate be need for this swap? I have an 86' and I know it has the 1 piece rear main seal like your 87'. I have contemplated this swap myself
Yes I will need a new flex plate but i'm not to that point yet I'm still on special tools needed before I get into under the hood or I will be so confused it won't be a good thing so i'm taking down tools now. I'm sure this thread will help other members because the questions haven't even started yet.

If I leave someone out don't get offended I'm trying to focus on one thing at a time.

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey Robert, you'll need a set of metric and sae wrenches. Lowe's carries the Kobalt brand and they are fairly inexpensive and a good quality tool. I have the combination open end/box end set of both. Get some extra long screwdrivers or pry bars too. It hard to tell you everything you'll need so there will be things that you have to make a trip to the store for. Unless you do this for a living its impossible to know what you'll need. Get a good creeper too if you have a concrete slab to work on. Plenty of rags and hand cleaner. So how many miles are on the 305 now? Mine just rolled over to 308,000 and still only a small puff of white smoke when I start it.
I have most of the tools you posted here or at work two blocks away. I'm not sure on the exact milage but I got you beat. The engine purrrrs and starts cold on the first crank but for the price Jegs is offering I don't think it's coming around again anytime soon. $1463.96 to my door. Tax and standard frt. would be another $350.00 or so. Do you think I could have waited and got a better deal with a 3-year or 100,000 mile warranty included?
And thanks Mike for the tool info if you can think of any others not today let me know.

I shipped the headlight besel's the next day ups with some shirts so you may have them Monday Tues. at the latest.:texas:

·
Registered
8 Posts
When I did my 350 swap I had to change my exhaust manifold on the passenger side to a drop down style. Just not quite enough room for the stock exhaust.

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here's what I have covered on tools so far.
SAE/METRIC WRENCHES AND SOCKETS./AND RATCHET CLOSED END WRENCHES
EXTRA LONG SCREWDRIVERS
PRY BARS/BREAKER BAR
SLEDEGE HAMMER:poke:
GEEKE HEADBAND FLASH LIGHT
CREAPER GOOD QUALITY
FENDER PROTECTORS
TELESCOPING MAGNET WITH MIRROR

KEEP THE SPECIAL ONES COMING I WANT TO BE SET UP THE BEST I CAN.

Thanks everyone:You_Rock:

·
0 Posts
Not sure if I saw a torque wrench along with short and long extensions for the ratchet,timing wrench and a cordless work light.
Also,to keep the price down,get all the part numbers of the stuff you need from O'reilly's,AZ,or Advance and get them from Rock Auto cheaper...Good luck!:texas::beer:

1 - 20 of 79 Posts