El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello this is my first Elcamino. She's is '86 conquista that has a 305 with141,xxx miles, and still runs as good as the day I bought her back in Jan. of 2003.

My Questions are 1. I don't want to have to mess with the computer chip, will getting the Edelbrock performer intake and the egr cam that is recomended with the intake affect my computer that I would have to mess with it? 2. I know there has been alot of exhaust questions but I also have one. I want to get true dual exhaust but the mechanic I talked to said that it would violate the emission law( I live in Missouri),because he said he couldn't mess with the pipe in front of the cat. Has anyone heard of this in your state. Or is my mechanic missinformed? 3. What is the point of getting the G-force crossmember, won't the price of buying it and then buying the dual exhuast equal the same amount as the custom job without the crossmember? By the way the exhaust system that I want is a 2.5 with 30 series flowmaster with the two cats.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Eightysix,
I have that setup already, no it will not mess up your computer. Are you looking for more power, if you are I was/am very dissapointed with that combination, the intake is fine but the cam is lacking. Look at the Comp Cams, everyone ssays they are better. I went with Throley tri Y headers, smog legal, make a great sound with some improvment, also have flowmaster. I don't know your smog laws but I can't imagine them any worse than CA. On the exhaust ask a few more shops what they would suggest.

August

·
Banned
881 Posts
Welcome to ECC/NECOA Justin!

1. It shouldn't make any difference to the computer if you change the cam unless you go really radical.

2. That is true here in RI too. But keep shopping around. You'll eventually find someone who will look the other way as long as you pay cash. Just make sure you put dual catalytic convertors on your dual exhaust unless it won't pass emissions without them. I have two on my dual exhaust.

3. If you don't use the g-force crossmsmber you'll have to get your mechanic to modify the stock transmission crossmember so the drivers side exhaust will fit up against the floor pan properly. The stock crossmember only has one hump on the passenger side for the stock exhaust pipe. Go with the g-force crossmember. It makes for a much neater installation and you'll be happier with it rather than a hacked up stock crossmember.

:mrgreen:

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
I can't imagine why a mechanic would tell you that he can't mess with the Y pipe. I've never heard of such a thing. You would be required to run catalytic converter(s). I believe that is a Federal requirement. As far as the crossmember goes, get the G-force, it will make it easier to run duals and makes for a nice undercar appearance.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well thank you for the replies, it gave me alot to think about. Now that I know that the intake/cam combo is dissapointing I will probably not bother with the cam. And 'll just do a intake, exhaust, and electric fan plus a lower thermostat. I may have found a place to do my exhaust, but I am kind of worried because they specialize in Ricers. I am will probably not get a 350, because all I want is a quick daily driver.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well thank you for the replies, it gave me alot to think about. Now that I know that the intake/cam combo is dissapointing I will probably not bother with the cam. And 'll just do a intake, exhaust, and electric fan plus a lower thermostat. I may have found a place to do my exhaust, but I am kind of worried because they specialize in Ricers. I am will probably not get a 350, because all I want is a quick daily driver.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts