El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have high regrets of going the fuel injected route instead of carbureted. I'm with a 1986 El Camino Conquista 4.3 V6
Lately, the car has been eating ECMs and Distributor Modules for breakfast. Half of the reason its been having issues was because I decided to get some Intellitronix digital gauges that would require seperate sending units for the oil pressure, water temp, etc. BUT, I soon realized that the ECM requires the sending units to communicate. (i only put back an OEM replacement of the water temp sensor, not sender). It would start every time for a few days.
SUDDENLY, the Elco decides to quit. It is constantly frying Distributor control modules/ ignition modules every time the car shuts off. I can go ahead and install a new one, and it would only last me one drive until I shut the car off, and ZAP, dead module.
I replaced the coil with an AC Delco one and am using BWD distributor modules, so I am using quality parts. I am also using permatex dielectric grease on the new modules every replacement.
I added an extra ground to the engine block to the firewall incase there were any grounding issues.

I finally installed another control module after adding the extra ground, but now it's just cranking and cranking for days.

Getting fuel to the throttle body is a constant battle that seems to never end. I cannot get this car to be reliable. I'm tired. Yet motivated to GET THIS CAR BACK.

MAYBE, just maybe it could be the naked connectors that are left unplugged for the pld stock oil pressure sending unit. I recall it had another sensor on it, and maybe it was a Fuel Pump back up switch that shuts off the fuel pump at a certain oil pressure. Maybe. I shouldn't need that though, since it has been starting just fine for months without it until just last week that the car quits!!

Please help. I am asking for the electrical gurus of this forum to point me in the right direction. Hopefully it's something silly. Fingers crossed, folks.

Rod

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
clarification, the injectors are not squirting any fuel at all into the throttle body. Nothing at all. I have a full tank of gas. If I add gas manually, it starts no problem for 5 seconds. SOMETHING is preventing the fuel to get to the **** TBI.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Should be able to get a aftermarket fuel pump from parts store.Should be reasonable being a low pressure pump.Plumb it into feed side of fuel line.And wire it on it's own circuit.Hopefully this will get it running to be able to rid yourself of some of the other gremlins you have going on.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts