El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Deputy Director Region 3 NJ Participating Member
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally found a nice 3rd gen and bought it today, picked it up and trailered it home, then went for a ride! The BIG BOSS (wife) went with me and she approved of it, loves the color!

Sweet! It is a '72 SS 454, 4 Speed (M22), 3.55 posie rear (decode to an original 3.31 but the guy I bought it from had a dyno done and says it is a 3.55, going to check it out!).

Bucket seats, console, tach/gauges, AC, real nice paint (Place Gold Poly), black interior with black vinyl roof, functional cowl induction.

Has rally wheels on it now, thinking of replacing them with the stock SS wheels.

I am a happy camper today!

Attachments

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
Nice score. That is a great color. I wouldn't change a thing. Good luck ducking the radar.

·
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Like all of them, it needs attention to areas.

Not changing anything exterior wise other than considering the change to the stock SS Rally Wheels. The car has 15x8's in the front on 225x60 BFG TA's and 15x10 on the rear with 275x60 BFG TA's. Personally like the stock SS rally wheels with 235x60's all the way around. Got to think about this! :tellme:

The AC is there under the dash in has the evaporator box, needs the compressor (which I have one), condenser and lines, so this ought to be FUN!

Also the tach does not work, need to get into that, but for now just taking it crusin' later today and the the NECOA meet here in NJ Friday the 31st.

Has an aftermarket AM/FM Cassette that sucks! Need to evaluate what I need here, nothing outrageous though.

·
Banned
5,787 Posts
nice truck, and a great peice of elcamino history, congrats on a great score:texas:

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Always fun to drive a 454 and 4 speed, even with the price of gas lol. I'm happier every time I drive mine

·
Ministry of Broke Things
6,617 Posts
Congrats! Nice find. :nanawrench:

·
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Glenn, how stock is your setup?

I posted in the Engine section for some pic's of a stock 454 setup.

This car has an Edelbrock intake and Holley carb, want to replace it with the stock intake and Q-Jet.

Need pic's and parts!

·
Ministry of Broke Things
6,617 Posts
Bruce, I saw your post a moment ago. However, I don't think I'll be much help as I'm less stock than you are with aftermarket AC, aluminum heads & intake, Holley carb, etc. etc.

·
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Glenn, Thanks! Was not sure how stock your setup was.

Now here is another consideration, I could go all out and put my L89 427 in it!

Probably way too much for me......I like getting in and ridin', not blowing everything on the street away like I used too!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts