El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
Go with what makes you happy! But since you asked for ideas, My favorite was old school 70's Corvette 8 inch Rally on the rear with 255/60's and 7 inch rally with 225/70's on the front of my 70 ElCo! Good luck with what ever you choose!

Joe

·
Premium Member
4,130 Posts
These image might help.
The El Camino has original Boyd Coddington 2 pc Junkyard dogs.
My stance is possibly lower due to 50 years of gravity on the original springs and possible slightly smaller diameter tires.
The fronts a 225/55 17 while the rear are 255/50 17, which are just under 27" tall.
I also don't wear the wheel trim on the fender which changes the look.
These are aluminum and look similar to the Riddlers you showed.
JY Dogs are being reproduced as one piece and if you don't want to polish the aluminum, they are available chrome plated. The repro might be more affordable.
www.summitracing.com/parts/rwa-bc1-886145c/

This second image shows a cranberry tri-five with staggered rims to match your nice cranberry 71.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Those Z-28 Rally wheels painted flat black look nice on those years.. The factory wheels ride the best and are very strong..

You want wheels that are as close to the center of the car as possible. The wheels you have now stick out too far and screw up scrub radius..

I always wanted a set of ET Classic Five or Vintage Five wheels. Best to stay with the 15" wheels. If your after handling and better braking. Just put some Porterfield pads and shoes on the stock disc/drum set up. Then install the SC&C Stage Three set up along with a Lee 14:1 Sagnaw 800 or 12:1 three ear steering box.

Those Wheel Vintiques Series 64 chrome reverse wheels are great also! I have a set for my 69 elco and love the look and the ride. They balance up nicely also..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts