El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I ordered a Sniper Stealth kit a few days ago and have been having fun plumbing and wiring. Holley shorted me a fitting so I had to order that which stalled the install for a couple of days. Also, their fuel fittings at the fake bowls aren’t long enough. When you tighten down the feed lines it squishes the line badly up against the plug for the TPS. It really felt like it would break the sensor plug. So while I already needed another fitting I ordered a pair of extensions to move the feed lines out a bit.

Today the new fittings showed up and I was able to finally fire it up. And it ran horribly. No matter what I did, the AF ratio would read 35.6%. I had another known-good Bosch sensor so I swapped that in. No change. A quick read of the Holley FI forums told me others have had this issue and it was due to a defective ECU. Great.

So a call to Summit and I’ve got another unit coming to me with a UPS pickup scheduled in a week for this one.

At least I’ve got nowhere to be...

In the first picture you can see the -6 extensions that allow the fuel lines to fit properly.

·
Registered
272 Posts
that sucks. hopefully the new one work for longer than this one. i guess their is always bound to be issue when trying to upgrade to make things more convenient. i had the inline fuel pump fail within 3 days and a TPS fail a month or so after installing fitech on my truck. it was kind of nice to drive for a while until i had the cam or lifter fail on exhaust valve 8. that failing has made me consider swapping everything over to the elcamino since the elcamino is just absolutely miserable to get started. i know the carb could likely use rebuild but fuel injection would likely be a bit nicer.

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Aaaaannnndddd.... it’s running! Summit sent me a new one and it arrived about an hour ago. Since everything was already in place swapping it in took only about 15 minutes. Fired right up and settled right into a nice 800 RPM idle. Let it warm up and took it out for about a half hour. Over and over I was doing quite unintentional burnouts whenever I’d start out from a stop. And hitting the gas at any RPM has it leaping to life. Mark (VortecPro) told me he got 553 HP out of this engine on his dyno but I was always suspect of that number. I’m now convinced it is accurate. My throttle response is night-and-day better than it was with the carburetor. and my AF ratios are so much better. This was the first time I was able to idle this car without my eyes burning.

I give it a solid 10!

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This was on initial startup. MUCH better AF reading than with the first one.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Aaaaannnndddd.... it’s running! Summit sent me a new one and it arrived about an hour ago. Since everything was already in place swapping it in took only about 15 minutes. Fired right up and settled right into a nice 800 RPM idle. Let it warm up and took it out for about a half hour. Over and over I was doing quite unintentional burnouts whenever I’d start out from a stop. And hitting the gas at any RPM has it leaping to life. Mark (VortecPro) told me he got 553 HP out of this engine on his dyno but I was always suspect of that number. I’m now convinced it is accurate. My throttle response is night-and-day better than it was with the carburetor. and my AF ratios are so much better. This was the first time I was able to idle this car without my eyes burning.

I give it a solid 10!
Holley sells a throttle extension that will make it feel much better. Instead of instantly opening the throttle blades you can ease into it more. It makes a huge positive difference in driving feel.

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Holley sells a throttle extension that will make it feel much better. Instead of instantly opening the throttle blades you can ease into it more. It makes a huge positive difference in driving feel.

Thank you for that suggestion. I’m putting together a small-parts order right now and will add that to the pile as long as it will clear my drop-base air cleaner.

·
Registered
218 Posts
This was on initial startup. MUCH better AF reading than with the first one. View attachment 129081
Thank you for that suggestion. I’m putting together a small-parts order right now and will add that to the pile as long as it will clear my drop-base air cleaner.
I have a drop base Edelbrock filter on mine and it clears it. Not sure on anything else.

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a drop base Edelbrock filter on mine and it clears it. Not sure on anything else.
Anything will help. If it hits I can easily notch out the base. Or in a pinch I can shorten the arm and only get half the benefit.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I have loved having the efi, it's a really nice upgrade. I still need to install the hyperspark distributor and ignition box so I can have the computer control the timing too.

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have loved having the efi, it's a really nice upgrade. I still need to install the hyperspark distributor and ignition box so I can have the computer control the timing too.
I must say that my initial plan was to stick with my regular HEI since it is nicely dialed in. But now, after the very first drive, my thought is that if switching to the EFI system could make such a dramatic difference perhaps adding the Hyperspark IS a good idea. If Uncle Donald throws that $1,200.00 in my bank account I think Holley will quickly get more of my money.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I must say that my initial plan was to stick with my regular HEI since it is nicely dialed in. But now, after the very first drive, my thought is that if switching to the EFI system could make such a dramatic difference perhaps adding the Hyperspark IS a good idea. If Uncle Donald throws that $1,200.00 in my bank account I think Holley will quickly get more of my money.
Mine is sitting on my living room waiting to go in. I got sidetracked redoing my gauges. I will say it was worth it since I haven't had a gas gauge in the three years I have owned the car.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts