El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y'all! Recently picked up 77' El Camino and absolutely loving it. Previous owner did all the hard work and I'm pretty much redoing the interior.
Looking for any leads on a dashboard replacement, or any that fit from other models at the time. Also wondering if anyone knows what the switch in the ashtray does/is supposed to do? Don't have a cigarette lighter in it but it does have a switch.

·
Premium Member
9,813 Posts
Hi Nero5622, welcome from Idaho. Glad you've joined us. Where abouts are you located? Looking forward to seeing pictures of your 77 El Camino. I don't know the answer to your question, but others here will. Have fun with your 77 El Camino and the community.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for welcoming me, I definitely look forward to seeing what everyone else has to offer with their wisdom! Pretty sure the decals on the sides aren't proof it's an SS, only proof I have is the vin which appears to be an SS using one of the decoders I found on here.
Car Vehicle Sky Automotive parking light Vehicle registration plate
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Steering wheel

located in the South Florida
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Sky
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Sky
Car Vehicle Sky Automotive parking light Vehicle registration plate
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Hood Motor vehicle

Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Sky Grille

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Man that's great to know there's another owner near me, I'm off Lantana Blvd.
Pic attached of said button in ashtray
Window Motor vehicle Wood Office equipment Bumper

·
Registered
81 Caballero, 83 El Camino
37 Posts
I don't know either, does it pull out like an old light switch, or slide out like a manual choke? What happens when you pull on it?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just pushes in and out. it has a wire that leads somewhere inside the dash, when I pull the wire a bit I can hear it slapping against the dashboard to the left of the passengers AC vents

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Starts regardless of the position of the switch/lever/knob. And changing the position does nothing while driving.

·
Premium Member
9,813 Posts
Thank you for sharing the picture of your very beautiful 77. That's awesome.

·
Registered
1981 El Camino, 4-Speed w/ factory Hurst Shifter, 400ci small block
279 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
That's a righteous El Camino you got right there. Congrats..... ;)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey y'all! Recently picked up 77' El Camino and absolutely loving it. Previous owner did all the hard work and I'm pretty much redoing the interior.
Looking for any leads on a dashboard replacement, or any that fit from other models at the time. Also wondering if anyone knows what the switch in the ashtray does/is supposed to do? Don't have a cigarette lighter in it but it does have a switch.
Sweet looking ride. Pretty clean looking to.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Great ride! Looks like someone has done some good work on the engine compartment and interior. Is the AC modernized to R134a?

The switch in the ashtray is not stock, so it’s anyone’s guess. Mine is that a PO had it set up with a manual choke or a kill switch, and whoever did the recent work just unhooked it and left it for the new owner to repurpose. A kill switch might be a good use for it if you can close the ashtray with it pulled out.

No one makes the dash pads, so if a good one comes up it will be about $1000 on EBay. There is a shop that will redo yours for a little more than that, plus shipping and 3 or more months of waiting. This site has some images of things people have tried. Probably the best has been having it redone at a leather shop, surprisingly reasonable and you can get the look you want. Lots of us run like you are now, with the attractive dash carpet.

I like your seats and console. The whole interior looks good from here!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for welcoming me, I definitely look forward to seeing what everyone else has to offer with their wisdom! Pretty sure the decals on the sides aren't proof it's an SS, only proof I have is the vin which appears to be an SS using one of the decoders I found on here. View attachment 140891 View attachment 140892
located in the South Florida View attachment 140888 View attachment 140889 View attachment 140890 View attachment 140886
View attachment 140887
Good looking but the instrument cluster is not an SS cluster. The gauges should be round not the sweep style

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Nice looking fourth gen! Check your rear lights. I’ve known a few people who found it handy to be able to turn off the brake and tail lamps at night. (A few may have been in the mountains of Georgia and North Carolina, and may have been in the beverage business).
Patrick

1 - 20 of 21 Posts