El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone-
So for years I've always had some kind of Chevy Muscle car. Impala SS, Novas, Camaros and Caminos. I've had a 66, 72 and 73. The last cool car I had was 20 years ago when I met my wife - a 68 Camaro RS/SS. But because deciding to marry her and raise a family I sold it.

Well I pulled the trigger and found a 69 El Camino SS 396. Haven't even had it a week. It has its quirks but overall a great car to tinker with. I will try to add pictures here.

396, TH400, 12 bolt limited slip diff, and working factory A/C

·
Registered
69 Posts
Welcome from West Palm Beach. Enjoy your El Camino, visit this site often there is a wealth of information.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi everyone-
So for years I've always had some kind of Chevy Muscle car. Impala SS, Novas, Camaros and Caminos. I've had a 66, 72 and 73. The last cool car I had was 20 years ago when I met my wife - a 68 Camaro RS/SS. But because deciding to marry her and raise a family I sold it.

Well I pulled the trigger and found a 69 El Camino SS 396. Haven't even had it a week. It has its quirks but overall a great car to tinker with. I will try to add pictures here.

396, TH400, 12 bolt limited slip diff, and working factory A/C

View attachment 130608 View attachment 130609 View attachment 130610 View attachment 130611
Hi DMChrist just saw your post. Love your car. I bet you get a lot of comments when you drive that around town. Beautiful!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for your kind welcome and encouraging words. I love the car and am just starting to address some issues
  • TH400 - no kickdown switch. B&M kit enroute.
  • Wasn't paying enough attention and missed that the only chrome/trim missing is the pass side window door frame - on order and enroute.
  • Seat belts!!! wifey doesn't feel comfortable without them. Ordered and enroute.
  • Holley 600 - secondaries not opening or need the proper spring setup. Spring kit ordered and enroute.
Once all that is completed I will be ordering a tonneau cover - guys at work are saying you need a topper.... or a cross tool box...... Let me just start with ARE YALL MENTAL?!?!?!?

Thanks again everybody!!

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Welcome from Pittsburgh..

I have a 69 SS396 too. Mine has a 454-Th400-2:87.. It runs real nice and has all the power I need.. It did need a good performance tune up though..

Hopefully somebody didn't put a rear end ratio meant for a small block drag racer... A big block on the street works best with something to dig into, any of the 2 series gears work well...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts