El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey! Got recommended the site by parts_box. I just recently got an 86 Conquista El Camino with 60k miles and am getting rid of my 87 that needed a fair bit of work still. Shop where I was working on it with a buddy after work closed up. Dont have the room to work on it now so I traded up. Pics of both below. Brown one is the keeper. Both are 305s

Couple questions:
1. This new one is WHISPER quiet. Has the same engine but I can hardly hear it. I would like a little more sound of the engine, but nothing insane as it is in fine enough shape to be a daily.. I had a spintech muffler installed but there must be something impeding the sound. A resonator perhaps?
2. Looking to buy an all weather cover. I think I was gonna go with Cali customs, but something cheaper and/or better is always nice.
3. Any cool things I should know I might not? This one rides amazingly. Any neat cupholder tricks?

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Welcome from near Atlanta. Nice looking ride! My drivetrain is a stock 305 and mine’s pretty quiet, too. The catalytic converter absorbs a lot of the engine sound and the rest is done by the single muffler. (There shouldn’t be a resonator). If the previous one had aftermarket exhaust, it may have had dual mufflers closer to the cab and may have lost the converter. I can’t advise you on the cover or cup holders but there’s info on both on the site.
Patrick

·
Director Region 6 (FL) - 2017 Founders' Award Reci
4,530 Posts
Hey! Got recommended the site by parts_box. I just recently got an 86 Conquista El Camino with 60k miles and am getting rid of my 87 that needed a fair bit of work still. Shop where I was working on it with a buddy after work closed up. Dont have the room to work on it now so I traded up. Pics of both below. Brown one is the keeper. Both are 305s

Couple questions:
1. This new one is WHISPER quiet. Has the same engine but I can hardly hear it. I would like a little more sound of the engine, but nothing insane as it is in fine enough shape to be a daily.. I had a spintech muffler installed but there must be something impeding the sound. A resonator perhaps?
2. Looking to buy an all weather cover. I think I was gonna go with Cali customs, but something cheaper and/or better is always nice.
3. Any cool things I should know I might not? This one rides amazingly. Any neat cupholder tricks?

View attachment 129694

Couple questions:

View attachment 129694
SSR , Welcome from the Florida Keys . That is a sweet looking Conquista . As a new member , as pbr400 suggested , do a search here on ECC . I suggest you also order a catalog from Original Parts Group and others for the 1978-87 5th Generation G-bodies . While they tend to be pricey , OPGI has a great selection , you can see what they have available . I have received good service from them over the years . You can also Google and numerous companies like National Parts Depot ( my other favorite ) , El Camino Store , Ecklers` , Mike`s Montes and others have stuff and a catalog you can order . You will find good and bad reviews here on them .They have the cup holders you asked about . It depends if you have bench or bucket seats . I had the cup holder/storage bin ( sits on floor ) , in front of my old bench seats ( blocks ash tray ) , but when I put in bucket seats and a 5 speed manual , I installed a later model Monte Carlo manual console with cup holders built in . On the cover , I live near Key West and wanted one that is breathable , with the mirror sleeves for wind . If you go with a totally waterproof cover , remember that they also hold in the moisture . Never put on a cover if your car is dirty . For almost 15 years I have been using the NOAH cover . Cheaper ones are available but they have served me well for around 15 years .

·
Premium Member
7,861 Posts
Hi SSR577, welcome from Idaho. Glad you've joined us. You have a very sweet 86 Conquista. Enjoy and have fun with it and the community.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SSR , Welcome from the Florida Keys . That is a sweet looking Conquista . As a new member , as pbr400 suggested , do a search here on ECC . I suggest you also order a catalog from Original Parts Group and others for the 1978-87 5th Generation G-bodies . While they tend to be pricey , OPGI has a great selection , you can see what they have available . I have received good service from them over the years . You can also Google and numerous companies like National Parts Depot ( my other favorite ) , El Camino Store , Ecklers` , Mike`s Montes and others have stuff and a catalog you can order . You will find good and bad reviews here on them .They have the cup holders you asked about . It depends if you have bench or bucket seats . I had the cup holder/storage bin ( sits on floor ) , in front of my old bench seats ( blocks ash tray ) , but when I put in bucket seats and a 5 speed manual , I installed a later model Monte Carlo manual console with cup holders built in . On the cover , I live near Key West and wanted one that is breathable , with the mirror sleeves for wind . If you go with a totally waterproof cover , remember that they also hold in the moisture . Never put on a cover if your car is dirty . For almost 15 years I have been using the NOAH cover . Cheaper ones are available but they have served me well for around 15 years .
Thanks for the info. I had experience with those sites when I worked on my 87 but didn't know all of them.

As for the cover, this one on NOAH is much more affordable than what I was looking at. However, I have to option between mirror pockets or no mirror pockets. Any preference here?

NOAH Cover

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome from near Atlanta. Nice looking ride! My drivetrain is a stock 305 and mine’s pretty quiet, too. The catalytic converter absorbs a lot of the engine sound and the rest is done by the single muffler. (There shouldn’t be a resonator). If the previous one had aftermarket exhaust, it may have had dual mufflers closer to the cab and may have lost the converter. I can’t advise you on the cover or cup holders but there’s info on both on the site.
Patrick
It must be the cat as the muffler is in the same location and I've already swapped from the stock muffler to a nice aftermarket Spintech. I will check into this. It is kinda nice how quiet it is for daily driving, but it just doesn't seem quite right haha

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I think you’re hearing all the power a 305 makes! You could flip the air cleaner lid (or switch to an open element); at least when the back two barrels open you’d hear the qjet moan!
Patrick

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think you’re hearing all the power a 305 makes! You could flip the air cleaner lid (or switch to an open element); at least when the back two barrels open you’d hear the qjet moan!
Patrick
I'll try this. It's just odd to me these cars are identical save for year and they sound like they were made 20 years apart hahaha

·
Director Region 6 (FL) - 2017 Founders' Award Reci
4,530 Posts
Thanks for the info. I had experience with those sites when I worked on my 87 but didn't know all of them.

As for the cover, this one on NOAH is much more affordable than what I was looking at. However, I have to option between mirror pockets or no mirror pockets. Any preference here?

NOAH Cover
SSR , I prefer the covers with the mirror pockets . They costs a little more but stay on better and I think they look better if that matters .

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
SSR , I prefer the covers with the mirror pockets . They costs a little more but stay on better and I think they look better if that matters .
This one actually had no change in cost so I guess I'll just go for it!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Also, looking to redo the window felts on the doors as they are pretty shot. Anyone recommend a particular product?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Patrick
Wanna thank ya for the recommendation to remove the cat. Sounds like a million bucks now. Took a short video here

·
Registered
170 Posts
Welcome, SSR577, from Seattle, Wa.
That's nice, I like it. Have fun, and keep asking questions. Someone will give you some answers. As for your question about window felts, are you talking about the coverings on the guides, or did you mean the rubber squeegee that wipes as the window goes up and down? I recently did a power window and door lock conversion on my '78 Caballero. I did not change the felt coverings on the guides, but I did put new rubber inner and outer beltline wipes. Give me some time, and I will try to find who I bought them from, and the part numbers if I have that info.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts