El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced my Fast Idle Solenoid the other day and when I had the air cleaner off I reved the engine up and gas shot out of the top of the carb. Is this how the jets are supposed to work or does it sound like ther's a problem?

Thanks in advance

:confused2:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Quadrajet...duh

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, it didn't seem right. I had to ask. Thanks. I think I need to do a rebuild. Is that something that a decent non-professional with limited tools can do? I got a quote for around $450 from a local shop but that seems steep.

·
Deputy National Director
10,256 Posts
Mountain Man Fuel Systems rebuilds them for around $200 !
There is many posts about him & don't think he has 1 unhappy customer !

Here is what mine looked like from him !

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Killer!! You guys ROCK!! I will be getting one as soon as I get home and confirm my model number. Is it relatively easy to swap out? Do you need special tools?

I saw some good links in another post for tuning them. Even though there is something to be said for someone who does it all the time, I'll give it a whirl.

·
ZERO MPG
15,379 Posts
Killer!! You guys ROCK!! I will be getting one as soon as I get home and confirm my model number. Is it relatively easy to swap out? Do you need special tools?

I saw some good links in another post for tuning them. Even though there is something to be said for someone who does it all the time, I'll give it a whirl.

Buy it on e-bay mountain man for 205.00 and they will send it before you take yours off. If you don't return yours all you lose is the 90 day warranty but you have two carbs. I almost sent mine back and found out it was still good and sold it here for $150.00 yesterday. So yours is worth more than a 90 warranty!!!!! even if it needs to be rebuilt. Try to rebuild it yourself that's how you learn if you mess it up who cares!!!!

Here's a year old Mt. Man carb. looks like he just shipped it.

I'm told this guy is better and he's in Santa Ana Ca.

http://www.smicarburetor.com/

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ordered carb from SMI on May 13... finally cancelled when order was 6 weeks old and still unfilled :snipersmilie:

Dang! I hope the guy is alright. Mountain man it is!

·
Supporting Member
4,705 Posts
You will likely have to do some final tuning once on the car, but nothing major. Try running it first , but don't go turning any screws until you know exactly what they do!. It's easy to mess up a tune ( probably easier than tuning it!)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.