El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

· Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy folks. I am new to the site, but have been reading about engine swaps as of late. I came across this site a few weeks ago before I traded one of my Honda Civics for a 1984 El Camino. I traded with a Dodger fan so you know this blue has to go since I'm a SF Giants & Niners fan. Here's a photo of the car. I'm in the process of dropping off the car at the shop for new engine installation. I've decided the best route to take was dropping in a Goodwrench 350 V8 260HP engine, Edelbrock intake manifold with carburetor & flexplate. I live in California so hopefully it'll pass smog with some tuning.

One question. Should I be purchasing from Jegs or Paceperformance?

· Premium Member
852 Posts
Jegs has free shipping on crate engines...
PacePerformance, never had a problem with them either.
Don't forget Summit, Speedway Motors, etc..
You will see there are many options...

· VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,105 Posts
Welcome from Florida. Nice looking ride you have there. Good luck..enjoy this site

· Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
All right so I just got off the phone with the guys at Pace Performance and wasn't able to order all the items I originally listed because dude said the Edelbrock carb may not pass California emissions so I played it safe and left it off. So I went ahead and ordered the Goodwrench 350 V8 crate engine, Edelbrock intake manifold & flexplate for a total of $1760 shipped.

Now that I have that out of the way can anyone in California recommend a carburetor and/or fuel pump? I want to keep it extremely simple with little to no modifications.

Thanks.

· Registered
134 Posts
A rebuilt Quadrajet carb (should) pass emissions. If your car still has all the electronic controls for the carb in place, I'd say hook them up it will help with the emissions. For a fuel pump, it depends. Is your crate engine set up for a mechanical or electric one?

· Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A rebuilt Quadrajet carb (should) pass emissions. If your car still has all the electronic controls for the carb in place, I'd say hook them up it will help with the emissions. For a fuel pump, it depends. Is your crate engine set up for a mechanical or electric one?
I believe the crate engine has a mechanical setup.

· Registered
134 Posts
Sorry for the late reply. But anyway, if its mechanical setup then that makes it easy. Old mechanical chevy fuelpumps are fairly cheap and super easy to install. The lower quality ones run about $12 and the name brand ones can sometimes be $50 or $60. I see no use in buying a $50 fuel pump but at the same time, don't buy the super cheap one either. Try to find a median. Installation is just 2 or 3 bolts, connecting the lines, and adding a filter if need be. Hope I could help.

· Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Welcome!!! There have been some discussions on here about the cam in the 260HP not being the best, and the 290HP being much better. Don't know difference in price, but check it out. Go with whoever offers best price and free shipping.

· Registered
3,717 Posts
Well, there is a bit of a trick with the fuel pump push rod...
i fought that stupid rod for an hour until i remembered the grease on the end of the shaft trick. Once I did that, 5 minutes and it was over.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.