El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks. I'm replacing my tranny this summer on my Elkie and I had question. When I put my new motor in I added a new torque converter with a higher stall to my old tranny (a TH350). I have read that it's best to use a brand new converter with a new transmission but was wondering if I could use the same converter that I put in last November? My transmission seems to work OK but has very weak shifts and I want something stronger for my new engine since I don't really trust it.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hey again. I haven't yet bought my new tranny. I was wondering what anyone could recommend for my car? I have a 68 El Camino with a GMPP 350 HO crate engine and a 12 bolt rear with 3.08 gears. I'm looking at a street/strip th350 from hughes or maybe a summit rebuilt.

·
Premium Member
12,122 Posts
If your old TH350 was slipping or acting up a bit, there may be some debris in the torque converter, even though you didn't run it very long.
I would choose a Hughes over a standard rebuilt, if that's what Summit has. Hughes is a good beefy brand, just like TCI etc.....also, if there's a problem with a Hughes or TCI, you can talk to the factory if there's a problem.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
you shouldnt use a converter from a failing trans in a new replacement trans.new trans and new converter is the only smart way to go.i buy mine from tcs in chino.nice people to deal with and good converters.the one in my 86 has 10 years on it and still as good as new. be sure you flush out your cooler also,they will collect crap from a failing trans and is sometimes imposible to clean.

·
TrannyMike
2,807 Posts
Hey folks. I'm replacing my tranny this summer on my Elkie and I had question. When I put my new motor in I added a new torque converter with a higher stall to my old tranny (a TH350). I have read that it's best to use a brand new converter with a new transmission but was wondering if I could use the same converter that I put in last November? My transmission seems to work OK but has very weak shifts and I want something stronger for my new engine since I don't really trust it.
First I'd say your trans doesn't work OK if you've got "very weak shifts". If you bought a trans from me and used the converter from your old trans it would void the warranty. Get another converter and do it right. :beer:

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. I plan to do it right but just had to hear it from you guys. I wouldn't risk wasting 1000.00 on a transmission over a 200.00 torque converter. It's my own mistake not replacing the tranny and adding a stall at the time of the motor replacement. I will drive it like it is for a while but I do hate weak shifts. My 71 Camino had a built TH350 tranny that would grab second and chirp third and that seems more the way to go.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts