El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm new to this forum. I'm rebuilding a 1980 conquista and have a question about a new engine and transmission. I dropped the original (auto) tranny and pulled the original 305 V8. I'm going to be replacing the 305 with a 383 small block crate engine. I've replaced several transmissions and done several clutch jobs in my life, but I've never upgraded both an engine and tranny. First off, what manual transmissions will be able to handle the increased torque from the 383 (425 ft-lbs), and secondly how can I know which transmission bellhousings will mate up to my new engine? I've looked at the borg warner T5 where you can remove the bellhousing, but I'm still uncertain as to how to proceed. Anyone have any experience with this issue?

Thanks,
Bryon

·
Deputy Director Region 6 - Supporting Member
6,209 Posts
It is still a GM SB and any of the GM trannys except BOP stuff bolt on to the back without modification. Crossmember placement varies and drive shaft alteration would be needed if you go with a 700R4 built to handle it. A well built Muncie manual will work or go with a Tremek to get 5 speeds (OD).

:beer:

·
Premium Member
5,787 Posts
Is your cruck a factory standard shift or are you converting? If you are converting I have a bell housing from a world class T5 Camaro that takes the hydraulic clutch cylinder. It might help. The wife would love to get it off the top of her filing cabinets in the garage.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts