El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I have been looking for weeks at different styles of wheels and non of them fit the exact look I want unless I spend thousands of $$$. The closest thing I found are Vision 143 Torque wheels. I wanted something in a 17 or 18 and staggered. My question is.... Will the below wheels fit? I believe the fronts may rub or require slight work to fit but my main concern is the backspacing on the rears.

Fronts: 18x8.5 with 4.5BS
Rears: 18x9.5 with 5.25BS

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
Year would help. My 87 has 16x8 with 4" bs and 235/60/16 and there is 3/8" clearance from sidewall to frame. UMI has a frame notch kit that doesn't require removing the body and will get about another inch inboard.

Joe

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I may have posted this twice... I tried on my phone and kept getting error messages so I opened another on my computer. So sorry for that.... yes it's an 86. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
213 Posts
There was at one point a pretty good write-up here on this site about 5th gen tire/wheel fitment. Maybe search "5th gen fitment guide" and see if you can find it.

·
Premium Member
4,011 Posts
See if this article by BillyJack helps out.

'78-'87 Tire / Wheel fitment guide - Read before buying!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks. I did read through the fitment guide. I was still having trouble figuring out if a 18x9.5 wheel with 5.25" backspacing and 0 offset would fit. I took a plub Bob inside the fender and measured to the frame. I also measured from the hub to the frame and I believe I will have about .5" clearance on each side. I was hoping someone out there was running something similar so they could confirm it will work.

·
Registered
143 Posts
@JEBS86 What's the plan? I ask because I'll be going through the same soon.
Do you continue to measure, do you just go to a tire/wheel shop to test fit wheels?
Do you order online in the hope that you don't run into clearance issues?

@Mechanic....sweet! Killer stance.

·
Registered
143 Posts
So I did a lil crawling and picturing. Lighting Suxs. Approx 2” clearance where it rubs fender lip. Running 8psi. Car really doesn’t look that jacked like the pics I posted. Note the Wilwoods. I’ll measure the space between interior rim to brakes on another day.

Attachments

·
Registered
143 Posts
Is the Superlift sticker on the door jamb factory applied? Note it’s states 10psi normal psi. And you adjust according to load you plan to haul.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am happy with my initial measurements. Everything should clear depending on tire sidewall. Worst case I will roll the rear fender a hair, or run thin spacer. Spacer being last resort.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Make sure you have your alignment set for positive caster and negative camber with those low profile tires or you could have some dangerous stopping issues..

Frankly, I like the first and second generation Chevrolet Rally wheel in 15 x 7...

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Can't speak to 18X9.5" but I kept 18X8" with a good sticky tire so I could do 4 wheel rotation. These are a Rocket Racing version similar to the ones you are looking at.

·
Registered
143 Posts
@kat0069. Gorgeous...could you post close ups? Is 3.75” backspace the “average” for 15” rims? What tires what airpressure?

is she back on the road, Kat? I hope so!!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I currently have stock brakes on, but I will install 2000 corvette brakes once I get my BMR stage 2 suspension kit.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts