El Camino Central Forum banner

New windows going in but have a question about the headliner?

498 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  B52bombardier1 
#1 ·
I have looked at Youtube and they have a 66 Chevelle Video showing a gripper edge with little teeth they wrap or stuff the edge into. (Photo #1) My 65 does not have this or is it missing this? Anyone who has done a headliner please help.

I did a complete redo of the exterior and now putting in a new windshield and rear window. The previous owner put the welting and wrapped the headliner around the pinch weld and both leaked before. The cars window channels are solid with no rust so obviously the installer before did not know what they were doing?

There is an contour edge that goes toward the pinch weld and of course the back of the pinch weld (Photo#2). I guess I should just glue it to these edges and use the OE style trim?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
My 70 EC has a similar hooked edge but I did not depend on the hooks to grip the new headliner material. I went to Home Depot and bought around 50 small, spring loaded clips to assist with establishing a tight and wrinkle-free installation.

Its the glue, not the hooks, that keeps the edge of the material in place. The clamps help to give the glue, the material and the roof steel a tight grip on each other.

Rick

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.