El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out running some errands today in my current winter beater (86 MCSS) and I saw a car that would be a great winter beater. It's a 78 Pontiac LeMans two door. I stopped to check it out and the owner let me start it up but I didn't take it out for a test drive because it started to snow again. It has a 3.8L V6 and an 3 speed automatic. The engine started right up. No noises or smoke. Here are some pictures of it:

I've always wanted one of these LeMans because they're almost the same as the Malibu. Picture it with 86-87 MCSS rims and 235/60/15 tires. There are a few minor items wrong with it, but with a little TLC it would be a great winter beater car. It has 72K miles and the body is puff. The doors and hinges are like new (and they interchange with El Camino doors). Asking price is $875 but I think I can get it for $750. I'm going back on Tuesday to drive it. To appease my wife, I told her that if I buy it, I'll be selling my 86 MCSS. What do you all think?

:mrgreen:

·
not around as much
2,192 Posts
Are you getting it for a beater or a parts car? Sounds like it could go either way. :p

·
Registered
349 Posts
those are nice cars,especially that one. i like the way they look. i'd go for it...

·
Registered
195 Posts
Those lemans were nice cars i use to have a 80 with a 267, it was a real tuff car it had over 350,000 kilometers when i sold it. and that one looks like its in real good condition.

·
Banned
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Poltergeist said:
Are you getting it for a beater or a parts car?
It's primary use will be as a beater for this winter. The interior plastic parts such as the door panels and sail panels, are in beautiful shape and I'll eventually transplant them into my sons 79 Malibu. The headliner and visors don't even sag. The door bottoms have no rust and the hinges don't sag either. What a parts car this would make.

I'm going to drive it a bit on Tuesday and then crawl underneath it to check the front end and to look for any rust on the frame and floorpans. If all goes well and I don't find any hidden surprises it'll be registered by the end of the week.

My 19 year old niece wants to buy my 86 MCSS. :cry:

:mrgreen:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts