El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I have been a member here for a min, and on the malibu racing website. I have a lil project I am working on and I was hoping to get some insight on a few things. I have a 4 door 1980 malibu. That i am in the process of doing a couple changes to it before it hits paint. I bought a elco header panel and I am switching from the two light header panel to the four light header panel. Question is where can I find the wiring diagram for the head lights. I want to use all four lights up top when driving. And fog lights around the dusk and dawn hours. Im going to buy four of the low beam lights and convert the wires to match. But need some help figuring it out. Thanks, here are a couple picks. What it looks like now.

The look i am going for.

·
Acting Director, Region 13
2,048 Posts
I would think you could use the wiring from the doner car, and piggy-back the low beams together, and add wire to the high beam plugs to put them where you want. But I have been wrong before.

Tim

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
I think you should keep the single light set up.

That looks great.

I'm sure one of us Elky guys would take the others off your hands.:poke:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys all the info is really helping me out. I was thinking seeing as I dont use my high beams , could i get four low beam headlights and and run them at the same time when I turn the lights on??? I did a few things to the header panel. Cleaned it, took the lights out, and primered it. Oh X-Mas came early for me. I know to a lot of you guys you have these things but I am just getting into this car thing.
Parts. Air compressor and impact gun. Sander and some other odds and ends

Before primer

After primer

Oh yeah im going to change out the tail lights and I blacked them out a lil.
Before

After the blacked out treatment

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well i think i want to try and put my frontend on. I just might leave the to inner light free(not pluged in). And run it that way for a while until i figure out what direction i want to go. Well I installed the tail lights. I like the look. What to you guys think?
Before with new lights on top

After with blackout

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A few pics

Well i went ahead and put the Elco front end on and now im just waiting for the new chrome pieces come in the mail. New bezels, grill, and lights. But I put it on and im really liking it. Cant wait to get the body work started so I can get it painted. So heres what Ive done so far.
Removed the single light header panel

Put on the elco header panel.

Still a work in progress but Im loving it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah you can. But i ordered some led brake lights for it and i hope this improves it. Dont want to get the law involved.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I converted my 79 to the four light setup about a month ago. If you want I can send you the wiring diagram this weekend when I'm home.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ozzman, thanks i hear about relays and things and i want it to work effectively. So that u would be a great help.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Yeah adding relays when you do it is almost a must. Me and my old man did it recently and we actually bought an HID conversion wiring harness because it comes with all the wiring, relays and sockets already and just didn't put in HID's. It works great. I'll grab the modified wiring diagram this weekend and post a pic.

·
Supporting Member
4,477 Posts
One thing to consider, if you go the 2- low beam route. When you have them both on, folks approaching you will think you have your high's on and will be flashing you to lower them.

·
Registered
89 Posts
The 12 volt is a good resource for automotive electrical. Geared more toward car audio, but they have some good information there.

Here's the page on relays.
http://www.the12volt.com/relays/relays.asp

Make sure to check out the relay diagrams. They have a lot of examples that you can use for your own application.
http://www.the12volt.com/relays/relaydiagrams.asp

If you pick up some SPDT (Single Pole Double Throw) or SPST (Single Pole Single Throw) relays for the job at your local auto parts store, you can also get a wiring harness socket to put them in to make the wiring easier, or you can just use some insulated female spade terminals.

Admittedly, adapting the wiring from a 4 bulb car would likely be easier. because then you'd have all the bulb sockets and such.

Good Luck, keep us updated!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Heu guys thamk for the info. I love reading things that I can apply to what im trying to do and if i mess up i at least understand why and can fix the prnlem. Cant wait to work on the car this weekend.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey guys. O took my time and just used the exsisting wire harness and put all new lights all the way around. Here is a video of it at the car wash. LOVE that front end, and those blacked out tail lights. Thanks for all the help.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts