El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings from North Idaho - Sandpoint area! I am a teacher - career and technical ed - at a tiny high school East of Sandpoint. The school was given a pair of 1980 El Caminos, both with 3.8 v6's. One has a very nice body, the other is good, but not great. I am about to retire and am working to get them running so they can be sold. No telling what sort of teacher the school will get as my replacement. Anyway, after my students completely destroyed the carbs in each, they are at home due to COVID19 and I am left to get them running. The first on the block has 40k miles showing and was last registered for the road in '96. Wish me luck!

·
Premium Member
4,131 Posts
If you need rebuild kits, part, or a rebuild Ted and Ardelle at Mountain Man are a good resource.
Here is a thread

Here is current contact info:

[email protected]
(479) 639-2022

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They broke the castings. I have replaced one with a new 2bbl unit. We were going to do an engine swap on the other, but that has no longer in the works. Still has the 229 with no carb.

·
Registered
2 Posts
In fact, UK research has revealed that 1 in 5 newly qualified novice drivers has crashed in the first six months after passing their test. Furthermore, available evidence suggests that a driver is considered to be inexperienced until s/he has driven 100,000 kilometres.
snaptube vidmate

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In fact, UK research has revealed that 1 in 5 newly qualified novice drivers has crashed in the first six months after passing their test. Furthermore, available evidence suggests that a driver is considered to be inexperienced until s/he has driven 100,000 kilometres.
?? Ok, you got me. My drivers test was June, 1973.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thanks to all for your kind welcome!

So I spent some time with the first one this weekend. I mounted a new carb on it (wish I could remember details about the carburetor but it was purchased a year ago). Anyway, it looks and connects just like the one that came off of the car. Also changed plugs, oil and filter. The oil had severe gasoline dilution - 30% or more. While I would not put it past some in the neighborhood to prank this, I suspect the fuel pump has a pinhole leak in the diaphragm. But, it does still deliver pressure. Anyway, It fired up fairly easily after the service - but idled at 2000 rpm or so (no tach). The throttle wouldn't come back to the idle adjustment screw - it appears there are little cams on the opposite side of the throttle shaft to give it a faster idle until the choke opens. Still, that is too fast.

On the plus side, the trans chirped the tires at the high idle when put into gear and seems to shift as it should. Alternator also puts out.

I will continue this over with the engine threads.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Welcome.....spent 50 years in Spokane, then sold the snowblower and moved to Arizona. Best of luck on your projects

·
Registered
16 Posts
Welcome. Have a place on Bull Lake, MT. I,m sure you know where that is....
Keep us informed on your projects!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hello marty3d, from a'78 Caballero, and a '79 El Camino in the Seattle suburbs.

• Well, that was weird. I thought I had already said hello, but it wasn't showing up on my phone, so I replied with a hello for a second time and then the first one showed up.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts