El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I'm the young owner of a 1985 Chevrolet El Camino SS Choo Choo and I'm looking to slowly turn the car into a high-performance street car. The car currently sits on the stock 15-inch rims from an IROC-Z Camero with 255/70 R15 BF Goodrich Radial T/A's mounted on all fours. I'm looking to increase the size of my rim to 17 or 18 inches and mount a high performance tire on it. I've been looking at Michelin Pilot Super Sport's for rubber.

Does anyone have any tips or suggestions for rims of this size? Any better tire options?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
[EDIT]

Tire size is: P255/70 R15 108

·
Supporting Member
4,528 Posts
One thing to consider as you go bigger on rim size is the aspect ratio must go smaller, like going from a /70 aspect ratio to a /35, for example ( aspect ratio is the "thickness" of the tire face to rim. It is the percentage of the width, so multiply the width times the aspect ratio). The net result of this is you have less rubber between the road and the rims, resulting in a much harsher ride. Also, any potholes could easily bend the rims. Did that on my C5!

I run 16" rims on mine with /55 aspect ratio tires. Have a little rubbing at full lock, but not bad. Others here have run 17, 18, 20 and even 22, so I'll let them comment on their experience.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Yeah, and you're already complaining about the gearing in your car. These taller tires are going to make it even worse driving around town so unless you want a 200 mph El Camino, change your gears or stay with smaller tires.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
[Newbie] Rims

F5_, I sent you a PM(private message). Did you receive it? 84

·
Registered
88 Posts
i have 20 inch on mine going to change to 15 cragar wheels 225/60/15 and T/A drag radials on back 275/60/15 anyone looking for a set of 20?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Hey Will - welcome from South Carolina!! Looks like you're already getting all the good advice you need:nanawrench:

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
I've got low profile tires on my '10 VW, and I'll never own another vehicle with low profiles. Too hard to get into and out of. But then, I'm no spring chicken any more, either.

·
Registered
174 Posts
If you want straight line stay 15s. If you want to Autox/roadrace go 17s or 18s.

I love my 15s on the elky and the 17s are perfect on the vette for a stiffer sidewall.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So.. if I want to run the 17/18 inch rims, what sorta aspect ratios am I looking at? also... how wide can I go on the tire without rubbing? What about offset? The newbie questions are abundant... I'm sorry...

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
http://www.elcaminocentral.com/showthread.php?t=42932. A fellow member, Billyjack, did research for tire fitment on the 5th gen elky. You will find a lot of answers to your questions here. Also, get friendly with the search feature .. you'll find that most any question you'll have, have already been asked and answered. Welcome to the forum and post pics when ya can.

·
Registered
555 Posts
So.. if I want to run the 17/18 inch rims, what sorta aspect ratios am I looking at? also... how wide can I go on the tire without rubbing? What about offset? The newbie questions are abundant... I'm sorry...
That depends on what YOU want. I havent got to your transmission thread yet, you may have already answered the question, what don't you like about the current gearing in your car?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That depends on what YOU want. I havent got to your transmission thread yet, you may have already answered the question, what don't you like about the current gearing in your car?
In essence 1320ElkySS, I'm looking to slowly turn my car into a street-legal high performance road course machine. Not 1/4 mile, but a road course. I'm basically asking all these questions so I can assess pricing and evaluate where to start with my tuning. I've driven modern day 5-speed automatics and to me, the three speed in the El Camino feels a bit slugish by comparison to some more modern transmissions. There has to be room for some improvement to bring it up to pace a bit... Maybe it's just the differential... I don't know, this is why I'm asking you El Camino gurus to help the teenager in his quest for speed.

Thanks for all your help guys/girls, you're all very helpful to me. :)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm back and more knowledgable than ever! I did some research online and found that the only site I could really find rims by dimensions (bolt pattern, offset, width, backspacing etc...) was Summit Racing. A lot of the other sites had "find rims by car" options in which you selected your year, make and model and the site would find rims that would supposedly fit your car for you. I didn't know if these sites could be trusted. So I stuck with Summit and searched for rims that were 17 inches in diameter, 8 inches in width, with a 5X4.75 bolt pattern and a 4 inch backspacing. I couldn't find a rim with 0 offset though.... My favorite rims I came across so far were these...

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ARE-500786140/

Also... I noticed most of the rims I come up with are American Racing brand. Is this normal? Are there other aftermarlet rim manufactures that make wheels which fit 5th gen. El Caminos?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
*aftermarket

·
Registered
447 Posts
I agree too, these classic rims are kind of the opposite of what you were looking for :)
I would too pick something more modern

1 - 20 of 24 Posts