El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are pictures of my 80 Diablo that I've been rebuilding for the last 6 months.

Now here is the story. I've been putting this car together for 6 months. The engine is an all new totally forged 383, the engine puts out about 600 HP at the crank and we have a special designed Nitrous system that is good for up to 400 hp, the Nitrous isn't installed yet.

Well today was the day that I was going to finally be able to crank the car & take it for a ride = Open headers & all :D. It wasn't acting right while I was trying to start it so I decided to check if I might have messed up and wanted to check for TDC again, pulled the #1 plug, stuck a screwdriver in there to show me TDC on #1 and put a Breaker Bar with a 5/8" Socket on the ARP balancer bolt so I could slowly bring #1 up to TDC, put a little pressure on the breaker bar & snap, there went my ARP unbreakable balancer bolt.

I pulled 5 straight 14 hour days working on this thing trying to get it finished so I could play with it a little bit and halfway through the 6th long day this happened. Needless to say, I'm taking a couple of day break before I go back to work on it. Hope y'all enjoy the pix.

As far as what it has here is a little list.
Custom Built 383, 10.7 to 1 KB Forged Pistons, Eagle Stroker Crank & H beam Rods, Custom Ground Big Azz Comp Cam, Canfield 215 CC heads with 2.08" valves (Ported), Polished AFR intake ( Ported ), Speed Demon 750 Carb, Mallory Comp 9000 Distributor, MSD 6AL.

TCI Turbo 350 Tranny, Manual Shift with Trans Brake.
3,600 Stall with Anti Ballooning Plate.

10-5/8" 10 Bolt with Strange Axles, 4.10's & Full Spool.

The interior has many things, a good shifter, many gauges & Custom Switch Panel.

There are many features that I haven't listed, but believe me it's been a very Long 6 Months putting this together for it to be shut down by something as stupid as a Balancer Bolt.

·
Registered
481 Posts
that sure is one sweet looking motor you got there 8)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is a street car, a very fast street car though. It's a toy though, when we finish getting all of the suspension together & get the new nitrous system all dialed in we are hoping that this thing will run in the 9's. I have it to the point now that with just a little bit of work it'll be on the street, then I'll just take my time and get all of the suspension together while I'm putting break in miles on the new engine, Tranny & rearend.

I've got a 2002 Firebird Formula that runs in the 12's on the motor & 11's With nitrous. My wife is sick of me racing "Her" car so gave me permission to build this beast, so right now I may be broke from this build up, my wife can't blame me. 8)

·
Banned
881 Posts
Welcome to ECC Benjy!

Sorry to hear about your misfortune with the broken balancer bolt. Nice pictures of the engine. The radiator mounts look custom. Are they from ARP too? :)

:mrgreen:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The radiator mounts won't make it much longer, just can't come up with the $1000 that BeCool wants for their Aluminum setup with the dual fans. I will have it one day. :?

·
Registered
481 Posts
why not just get a universal aluminum GM radiator from summit, less than $190 and you could get fans and a tranny cooler for less than $500. just a thought.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The radiator I'm running will do good for now & I'm running Cadillac Northstar electric cooling fans, If they can move enough air to cool a transverse mounted Northstar, they can keep my car cool until I can get the radiator setup that I want.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Beautiful Engine, and Awesome Elky! :D Welcome to the family.. Sorry to hear about the bolt... :-(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts