El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it sure sounds like Gainesville was a success this past weekend. Does anyone have any suggestions on where and when the next meet will be? I know we're starting to get into hotter weather now which is certainly going to be a consideration.
As a suggestion Palm Beach Cars and Coffee is hosted once a month now at Palm Beach International Raceway if anyone is looking for a casual show. I went last Sunday and it was a pretty good time. They had both the drag strip and the track open so it was nice to just take a break from browsing the cars there and hearing some V8s in their natural habitat down the 1/4. They had Larsen Motorsports out there too with one of their jet dragsters doing some 6 second exhibition passes too which was pretty cool.

·
Director Region 6 (FL) - 2017 Founders' Award Reci
4,981 Posts
Kyle , You are correct and we don`t have another get together/meet up scheduled and your post is a good start . While it is starting to heat up here in Florida , May and early June are still doable for many others . The Palm Beach Cars and Coffee is an early morning event and over before the sun gets high in the sky . Nice thing about where you live is that there is an active group and it does not require an overnight stay for those closer by . Sooo , what do others think or do you have a suggestion or idea ?

Reactions: squag27

·
Premium Member
1,845 Posts
May is a busy familiar month for me and it's too hot June to September. Hopefully the Veterans Day shows should be back and maybe an October show like Horsepower Ranch near Orlando comes back.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is it every Sunday? What time does it start? Do you go all the time?
Tom
We have the Elliott Museum up here on Tuesday night.
Cars and coffee is usually once a month on Sunday morning, usually starting around 8:30 and ending around noon. As far as the exact day, it varies month to month. I saw you post the other day about the Elliot Museum, what time do you usually go there? I work in Riviera beach and would be interested in going up after work sometime.

May is a busy familiar month for me and it's too hot June to September. Hopefully the Veterans Day shows should be back and maybe an October show like Horsepower Ranch near Orlando comes back.
Very true. Horsepower Ranch has sounded like a good one to do. I'm finishing up my rear end rebuild over the next day or two so I'll finally be more comfortable taking my Elco on more long distance trips.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Cars and coffee is usually once a month on Sunday morning, usually starting around 8:30 and ending around noon. As far as the exact day, it varies month to month. I saw you post the other day about the Elliot Museum, what time do you usually go there? I work in Riviera beach and would be interested in going up after work sometime.

Every Tuesday night. 4-7
4A6122D1-CDF2-450B-8A1E-53AB26236137.png
. Philly food truck is there.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Every Tuesday night. 4-7 View attachment 137463 . Philly food truck is there.
Well I should have my Elco up and running tomorrow evening with it's rebuilt rear end. A trip up to Stuart after work sounds like a good way to break it in.

·
4,981 Posts
A reminder that we are attending historic Ft. Christmas on July 31 in Christmas , Florida . There is another forum here in the Region 6 , Fl. forums with info organized by R/T :)

·
Elkybuick
2,905 Posts
Well it sure sounds like Gainesville was a success this past weekend. Does anyone have any suggestions on where and when the next meet will be? I know we're starting to get into hotter weather now which is certainly going to be a consideration.
As a suggestion Palm Beach Cars and Coffee is hosted once a month now at Palm Beach International Raceway if anyone is looking for a casual show. I went last Sunday and it was a pretty good time. They had both the drag strip and the track open so it was nice to just take a break from browsing the cars there and hearing some V8s in their natural habitat down the 1/4. They had Larsen Motorsports out there too with one of their jet dragsters doing some 6 second exhibition passes too which was pretty cool.
Palm Beach Internatioal Grounds have been sold to Walmart for a Distrubution Center.

·
Premium Member
1,845 Posts
That's the one. We used to do the Super Chevy Shows there, but it got worse and smaller each year. The last show was only one day, it interfered with the road course use.

·
Senior Member - 2019 Exceptional Action Award
498 Posts
So I'm limited to travel northeast Florida do to my aging old girl Elky for now but wish I could travel more. I was so disappointed when they stopped doing Silver Springs in Ocala. I tried to start something at Green Cove Springs Dragstrip but was in the middle of the summer and didn't get a great turn on and then it closed do to leasing issue's and complaints. So hard to find any place willing to take on the responsibility of hosting cars on there property. We have a once a month cruise at our Orange park Freddy's but most nights they are lucky to get 20 cars and Freddy's already told them once they could not come anymore do to a new manager thinking it was bad for business ! LOL I think the reason Gainesville does so well is because it's not just a get together for Elkys but at dragstrip with something else to do plus Steve always hosts a dinner at a local restaurant on Friday night and access to hotels for people traveling. Also the caravan to the track Saturday morning through some of the nicest scenery in northeast Florida. It's the honey hole for a car events and the track is just fine with it. Maybe I'm stating the obvious but there are few location anywhere like this, maybe the Frim outside Keystone Heights but there charge a ton to rent the track for the day and not much else to do or places to stay in Keystone. My youngest son uses to SCCA race here before moving to NC and they had a huge problem finding places to race in northeast Florida. Feed back welcomed, positive or negative comments are welcome as well ! LOL

·
4,981 Posts
Matt , gotta agree that things continue to get eaten up by businesses and hugh housing developments here in Florida . My heart dropped when I read Elkybuick and Hat Trick`s bad news about the loss of the Palm Beach International Raceway . As Chuck said , we had a lot of good times there at the Super Chevy Shows and we especially enjoyed Neil`s hospitality and The Mayor Of Singer Island and Mignon`s cookouts . Proud that we earned 8 Best Club Attendance Awards . Is the Nat`l. Muscle Car Series still operating in Bradenton ? For those new members that may not know Matt ( Kymino60 ) , he has helped Steve Sanders ( 87next2last1 ) , put on a number of well attended Gainesville Get Togethers And 1/4 Mile Run events . He was also awarded an Appreciation Award from NECOA for his efforts in supporting Region 6 , Florida and helping other members find the info and help they needed . Sooo as Matt suggested , lets keep and eye out for fun places to meet up and remind everyone that the best way to show your appreciation is to attend and enjoy a get together . What else do you want to see happen for us ?

Reactions: Kamino60

·
Senior Member - 2019 Exceptional Action Award
498 Posts
Matt , gotta agree that things continue to get eaten up by businesses and hugh housing developments here in Florida . My heart dropped when I read Elkybuick and Hat Trick`s bad news about the loss of the Palm Beach International Raceway . As Chuck said , we had a lot of good times there at the Super Chevy Shows and we especially enjoyed Neil`s hospitality and The Mayor Of Singer Island and Mignon`s cookouts . Proud that we earned 8 Best Club Attendance Awards . Is the Nat`l. Muscle Car Series still operating in Bradenton ? For those new members that may not know Matt ( Kymino60 ) , he has helped Steve Sanders ( 87next2last1 ) , put on a number of well attended Gainesville Get Togethers And 1/4 Mile Run events . He was also awarded an Appreciation Award from NECOA for his efforts in supporting Region 6 , Florida and helping other members find the info and help they needed . Sooo as Matt suggested , lets keep and eye out for fun places to meet up and remind everyone that the best way to show your appreciation is to attend and enjoy a get together . What else do you want to see happen for us ?
Thank you Lenny ! Like I said in my post till I get my Elky in better shape to travel I stay pretty close to home. Yes the track is still in Bradenton but they are having a huge problem with development all around them. I moved down there from NY when I was 14 and spent many a weekends out at that track. My brother lived there for 40 years until his passing last year and I can honestly say I don't think I could go back there now that he's gone but would great if some other member could get something going at that track. You would think as big as Jacksonville is there would be plenty of places to have a meet but J-ville is totally against motor sports anything! Pretty much chase SCCA out of the county 5 years ago! Hope we can get some input from region 6 members or any region to see where other regions are meeting these days !

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Palm Beach Internatioal Grounds have been sold to Walmart for a Distrubution Center.
Is there any actual proof that happened? I've been hearing that rumor for the last couple months but have yet to find anything concrete that it actually was sold.

·
Deputy Director Region 6
9,378 Posts

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
We attended a meet at a wing house in St. Augustine that Steve held many years ago , about 12 Caminos showed up , but Steve was the only person we knew . It would be nice to do it again with some of our regulars & new faces .

1 - 20 of 26 Posts