El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many here are running regular gas shocks on the rear of a 5th gen? I'd like to ditch the air shocks on my '78 (it's hauling days are over 8) ). I'm worried that it might sit too low in the rear though. It has newer springs on it, the guy I bought it from said he put station wagon springs on it. Any ideas/suggestions??? I'm thinking of going with KYB's all around.

·
164 Posts
I think you'll be fine with KYB's, they are very nice shocks for the money. If you do however run into a problem with the car sitting too low, then just replace the coil springs to suit your needs. You can basically tailer the spring, height and rate to suit your tastes. But first, try the KYB Gas-A-Just's and see if you like it and go from there. New coils run between $45-$100 a pair depending on the popularity of that particular part number.

·
164 Posts
I think you'll be fine with KYB's, they are very nice shocks for the money. If you do however run into a problem with the car sitting too low, then just replace the coil springs to suit your needs. You can basically tailer the spring, height and rate to suit your tastes. But first, try the KYB Gas-A-Just's and see if you like it and go from there. New coils run between $45-$100 a pair depending on the popularity of that particular part number.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I odered some new control arms for it today, and also some new poly spring isolators. The iso's look to be much thicker (in the pic) than the original rubber ones, maybe that'll take up some of the difference. The springs are about 6 years old, but have very few miles on them. The Ekly sat for 4 years or so before I bought it. The paint hasn't started coming off them yet. I really don't like the stiffness of the air shocks, I'm hoping the KYB's live up to the hype :D

·
Registered
20 Posts
shocks

I have put new springs all the way around with kyb's in the front and back. With the new springs the height is up,but I have 16 inch rims so its not terribly high. With all new bushings and ball joints in the front end,the car rides very nice. Never did like the feel of air shocks. They are good for loads but I will never be hauling loads again!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts