El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So the other day I got caught doing 72 in a 55 zone (Speedo dont work). State boy wrote it down as 65 to help me out a bit BUT he also got me for no brake lights on the elcamino. I told him I didnt know which was a lie. He wrote me up on them to cover his butt if I got rear ended. The issue with the brake lights is a reoccuring issue. I have changed everything from the dash back except the bulb sockets. I want a good elecrical guy to help me out as I am horrible at electrical systems. Years ago when I got my elcamino it didnt have brake lights but I did get them fixed. A few months later I noticed that they was not wworking agian and just teied to figure out what the issue is but the only thing I can think of is the bulb sockets. So does anyone have some or have any idea what that may be. Id like to fix the issue before I get another ticket on this again. Thanks in advance.

Note: Fuses are good, not blowing

·
Registered
12,533 Posts
if both brake lights don't work,, see if you getting power to the bulb/socket first??
could be
a break in the wire
the turn signal switch

if you have power??
check the ground for the socket..
on the older cars that don't have a ground wire, the ground is thru the socket and light housing,,
add a ground wire to the socket..

:texas:

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im sure the sockets would be dirty as it does get extremely dusty around here. Ill check again to see if Im getting power to the lights. I gave up the search a while back. And Ill get back with yall.

·
Premium Member
4,664 Posts

·
Registered
943 Posts
dem der little contact points are sprang loaded also . make sure youz got wiggly movement inside to have preasure agin the bulb,, usually caused from dirt or muck.Spray some ''electra clean''inside , its not oily like WD ,safe for all contacts .
My wife once said to me ''what are you trying to do ,? meet a trooper in every state of the Union?". so far michigan , texas , wisconsin , illinoize,indiana, florida.narrowly escaped , Tenn , bama, iowa colorado and minnesota as they were busy already , whew!!!. . but no woories mon, the fine is the same up to 20 over, then its reckless driving, but boy oh boy Pennsylvania , doubles after 20 triples after 30 and bye bye elky . I guess I been watchin too much dukes of hazzard .
radar detectors are illegal in some states as , barny fife type mentioned to me that he had a ''radar detector detector'' my response was '' well whoopty do ''.That didnot go over too well but got a reprieve as the childs were haveing to pee real bad daddy .
Too bad they be all growed up now .but I have slowed .
was this a bit too much??
good like with the lites , patience patience.

·
Premium Member
12,122 Posts
I got trapped twice ( I'm sometimes a hard learner) by bad sockets. Internal bad connections in the sockets, which aren't visible...like the ground tab.
It took a while for me to wake up, but new sockets are the way to go if the problem doesn't go away...
Also, the connectors on the wire bundle coming from up-front, to the rear lights, may be part of your problem...

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
When you turn on the headlights do the back ones light up but the brake light don't work? If there light it could be the brake light switch????

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When the headlights are on the tail lights come on but the brake light still do not come on. I have replaced the brake light switch a while back and it didnt help.

When you turn on the headlights do the back ones light up but the brake light don't work? If there light it could be the brake light switch????

And Choowey, Im 24 and thats my first ticket. I usually stay under the radar on my speed but he got me. I will try my best to keep my lead foot undercontrol :poketoungeb:

My wife once said to me ''what are you trying to do ,? meet a trooper in every state of the Union?". so far michigan , texas , wisconsin , illinoize,indiana, florida.narrowly escaped , Tenn , bama, iowa colorado and minnesota as they were busy already , whew!!!. . but no woories mon, the fine is the same up to 20 over, then its reckless driving, but boy oh boy Pennsylvania , doubles after 20 triples after 30 and bye bye elky.

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
When the headlights are on the tail lights come on but the brake light still do not come on. I have replaced the brake light switch a while back and it didnt help.

And Choowey, Im 24 and thats my first ticket. I usually stay under the radar on my speed but he got me. I will try my best to keep my lead foot undercontrol :poketoungeb:

Could have got a bad switch check it with an ohm meter and make sure the contacts are closed without pushing in the button????? It wouldn't be a first bad new switch from CHINA. Next Put something to hold the brake pedal down check voltage at the plug with a meter. Take the bulb out and push it back in to see if it lights with pressure on the bulb. Push the wires in the socket while the bulbs in. vOLTAGE FIRST!!!!

Are any of the bulbs LED'S if so bingo!!!!

·
Premium Member
12,122 Posts
As most folks here know, the brake lights and turn signal lights both come through the turn signal switch. Common problem on our older cars...

It's not too difficult to replace it if you take your time, and have a puller for the steering wheel, and the tool to compress the spring, to get the upper plate off.
And, a piece of wire etc on the old switch harness, when pulling it out, to use when pulling the new harness into place, etc....

·
Registered
129 Posts
So the other day I got caught doing 72 in a 55 zone (Speedo dont work). State boy wrote it down as 65 to help me out a bit BUT he also got me for no brake lights on the elcamino. I told him I didnt know which was a lie. He wrote me up on them to cover his butt if I got rear ended. The issue with the brake lights is a reoccuring issue. I have changed everything from the dash back except the bulb sockets. I want a good elecrical guy to help me out as I am horrible at electrical systems. Years ago when I got my elcamino it didnt have brake lights but I did get them fixed. A few months later I noticed that they was not wworking agian and just teied to figure out what the issue is but the only thing I can think of is the bulb sockets. So does anyone have some or have any idea what that may be. Id like to fix the issue before I get another ticket on this again. Thanks in advance.

Note: Fuses are good, not blowing

first of all do your turn signals on the rear work , if they do i would replace the turn signal switch, the brake lights go through the switch, also you can check the brake light switch on the brake peddle where the peddle stops , and see if you have fire when the peddle is pressed, then correct the speedo so it works like it should , or buy a cheep G P S and use it to show your speed, mine is about 11 mph fast right now after i put a new trans in , and been to lazy to count the teeth on the speedo and get a bigger speedo gear .....hopes this helps Don

·
Registered
12,533 Posts
do you have power to the brake switch??
check the hazards?? do they work??

the stop and hazard lights are probly the same fuse/power source, not the turn signals..

do some testing, find the bad spot..

:texas:

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
On 5th gens I've seen back behind the rear driver tire on the frame that the harness will slip down and rub on the rear tire and break the wires. check there.:huh: And check all grounds and conections were the bumper harness and main harness plug together.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I m in the ground camp
On my 79 the bumper is just the worst really bad ground.
Extended the ground back to the frame and presto bride lights and turn signals!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts