El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My '84 Conquista was hit in the driver's door and has been in the body shop for a few weeks. While it was there, I had a new carpet installed and the car undercoated.

I borrowed it for the weekend to do some landscaping jobs, and on the way home, discovered that the brake lights, rear turn signals and rear flashers don't work. The front works fine. Fuses are all OK.

Any ideas? I have to take it back to the shop Monday, but would have liked to use it this weekend if it is something that I can easily fix. Seems like a harness may not be plugged in or something? I ain't no mechanic, so any help is appreciated!

Mark

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No brake lights, tail lights, turn signals, flashers or license plate light.

No lights at all in the rear.

·
Venerated Member RIP
2,918 Posts
did the body shop remove the rear bumper at any time? Many of the members here will say to check all your grounds back there. Seems to be a common cause of rear light issues.

One easy thing to check would be starting at the brake light switch. You should have 2 leads, (maybe 3 if you have cruise control :dontknow:). You can use an inexpensive test light tool from auto parts store.

1 lead should be HOT all the time, the other lead(s) should be HOT when brake pedal is pressed. If this turns out to be working, then the problem would be somewhere between the switch and the rear....

Good Luck, electrical gremlins can be a pain.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They didn't remove the bumper. They did work underneath doing undercoating and they removed the seats and carpet.

I'm thinking the problem is past the brake pedal because the license plate light and tail lights are also out. No lights whatsoever in the rear. It will be going back on Monday, but if it is an easy fix maybe I can do it tomorrow.

Thanks.

·
0 Posts
There's a harness that runs behind the left rear tire. Make sure it's plugged in and also check the sockets where the lights plug in. I had this problem before.

·
Venerated Member RIP
2,918 Posts
I was just suggesting brake light circuit as 1 thing to check just to see if you can get them working. If the power works through the brake light switch, then the issue for that circuit is probably in back, and probably a ground issue.

Each circuit has a set of grounds in back... Since they undercoated, no telling if that activity somehow messed up your grounds.

Do you have a set of wiring diagrams for your cruck?

It could also be the main plug that steelbeast refers to... That would be an easy one to check as well.

·
0 Posts
The grounds are a great start if you can find a good diagram. They have many posted here.
Since they did the undercoating,check along the frame to see if they disconnected it.

·
Premium Member
5,788 Posts
Since they were doing carpet check just below or to the left of the fuse box for a flat connector. You may have to lift the carpet up in that corner. If the ribbon was stuck to the old padding they may have disconnected it to get things cleaned up.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
look at the fuse box connector as stated above it and the body connectors are the only things i know that will kill all of your lights.i dont remember if thier is one in the cubby or not.if not the one attached to the left side of the fuse box and the one at the left rear corner of the body where the bumper harness plugs into the body harness is where i would look first

1 - 10 of 10 Posts